New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor

Showing 13 responses by nkonor

atmasphere,

I hope you are successful with the installation of the 12" Triplaner and post your findings.                            
In the meantime if you could post your initial findings on stock out of the box thoughts. They would be appreciated.
Thanks
nkonor
andysf

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the GAE. I hope those that have acquired one will add to this thread. I too only heard it at Axpona this past April for 20 minutes. I don't think this price is out of line with today's prices on equipment.
billstevenson,

I appreciate your comments, comparisons and thoughts on arm and cartridges.
I am a vinyl guy (3000 LPs vs 83 CDs) Have an LP 12 and Kizma Stabi S in main system. 
Heard the Technics at Axpona last April for 20 minutes. Positive comments so far and I do not think the price is outlandish.
I have a 2nd system in a smaller room and want a TT source for it . I think the Technics would be a good fit for this system.
The Direct drive platform seems solid, the arm does not need to be upgraded immediately, Ortofon cartridges are a good match.
I have been interested in DD TTs and Ortofon cartridges. 
Have a 3-4 hr round trip drive ahead of me for an audition ; but think it is a worth while trip.

Thanks
Norb
That's Super!!! I would be interested in the details! Especially the music. Kept wondering if you really accomplished it. I would think that this will impact All TTs.
Can you give me hint at cost beside TT and Triplanar ???

Thanks
Norbert
atmasphere,

Thanks,

From the pic on my IPhone it looks like a Fine effort! Will take a look at the link you provided tonight.

nkonor
atmasphere,

Looked at the link you provided last night. All it does; is make me want a full review and cost for you to build one for me. Looking to me as if others are pondering the same. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank You,
nkonor
atmasphere,

Still pondering TTs. 

GAE w/ 12" Triplanar if you would accomplish the build.

Kuzmz Stabi M w/4 point arm

TW Acoustic Black Knight 

Tech Das III w/Graham arm

I think so far, the GAE w/12" Triplanar makes the most sense.
And best value.

The TT world seems like it has so many choices that are good. Hearing them is getting harder.

Just wanted to respond, since you give so much of your time and thoughts to this site.

Will contact you when I stop pondering and decide to pull the trigger on my retirement TT.

Thank You
Norb

Atmasphere,

I appreciate your input on all subjects on this forum as do many others. Always Sound and sensible advice.

Recovering from back surgery and finally was able to sit in the "Sweet Spot" for the first time since Sept/Oct 2016; just this 4th of July weekend.

Want to finish my room acoustics 1st. Still cannot be steady on a ladder to do the ceiling treatments yet.

I agree with your thoughts on the Technics and Triplanar arm.

Thank You and Best to You 
Norb
moonglum,

Yes, my mind is in a tizzy about choosing my last retirement TT. So hard to get auditions nowadays. An in home audition; Good luck with that.
 I have plenty of AMEX pts. Should get me air tickets, rental car and hotel for my 1st RMAF in Oct and I live in Chicago; so Axpona is a slam dunk. I have heard an Avid at Music Direct many times when I lived just 10min away.Although they did not have a real room.
Agree that could be a possibility that would add to my already confused process.

Although I have not PM 'd Ralph yet about modding a 1200GAE to take the 12" Triplanar; I lean strongly to this option ; I too think that this option would be a game changer. It's why I started this thread.

I am open to thoughts about all this and happy that you chimed in.

Thanks
Norb
Yes, That's part of my quandary.

Leads me back to a Black Night, Tech Das III even a Kronos..

Think it was a Dual 1229 and a V15 Ty III that made it all so easy in the Day.

Best
I am the OP. Still interested in all thoughts, opinions and any mods concerning the 1200 G and the upcoming 10R. 

doug > atmosphere has modded his 1200 G with a 12" Tri-planar. I think this tonearm with XLR terminations would be a game changer.

Thanks
nkonor
atmasphere,

There is a video on Analog Planet with Michael Fremer of the prototype Technics 10R. Sounds to made to be able to accept an arm of users choice. I am holding tight and saving my nickels. Until I win the lottery; the AF3 / Sat arm combo will need to wait.
Atmasphere,

The video suggested to me that Technics is still considering final design and that they are considering what guys like me are wanting and looking for. So, yes I will wait for the 10R and saving my 'nickles'. No doubt in my mind that it will be Spendy.
I am in the camp of everything makes a difference. Everything has a coloration. After all, we are reproducing sound. Go to a live venue to hear the real deal. We will get to see / hear the 10R when it's put on the market and make our judgements and decisions then. 

In the meantime; I am saving my nickels and throwing the odd quarter and dollar into the jar.

Best