"New" Thorens 124 sounds great, but...

I have a "new" (completely refurbished by STS classic turntables). I know that there is a very heavy lower platter, and it looks like it is made of iron. There is a top platter that seems like it is made of aluminum. On top of that, I have a turntable mat that is made from carbon fiber and cork. I use a Funk Firm FX-R tonearm, and a Benz Ruby Z low output moving coil cartridge.

My tonearm is acting weird. When I lift up the cueing mechanism at the end of the record, it wants to quickly run back to the armrest. Scary fast - as if the table wasn't level, or the armboard wasn't level. But both are perfectly level. I took this tonearm and cartridge combo off of my Linn LP 12, where it acted perfectly normal. Again, it sounds great - no break up on any channel. And the down force is consistent at all points of the record.

Is there any chance that there is a magnetic force at play here? No amount of playing with the anti skate seems to matter. Curious what you folks who have this table, or others like it may think.

David
torc

Showing 1 response by viridian

Thorens also made a non magnetic platter, known as the Zamac platter. It is a bit lighter than the steel platter, but has no magnetic attraction. It uses the same aluminum topper as the steel platter.

One thing that folks do is put a felt turntable mat between the steel platter and the aluminum topper, to get the cartridge further away from the platter. Of ourse, you will have to readjust VTA.

Another thing to look at is the anti-skate setting of your tonearm. Too much and it will drift back to the arm post. Good luck.