Nuforce STA200

I am curious about the Nuforce STA200 amplifier  If anyone has experience with the amp it would be appreciated if you would share your listening impressions, both good and bad.  Some of the descriptions I have read classify it as a class AB amp and others a class D amp.  I am not technical savvy about these things, can a single amplifier be both? 
Thanks
George
jetter

Showing 20 responses by mesch

Base on this thread,  I just purchased this amp from Audio Advisor. A Demo unit. I also have a Schiit SYS which I will try with it. Will likely pair it with a DAC/PRE in a second system later. Will get back after gaining some experience with this. Probably not work well this my Jolida Fusion preamp as it has 26dB gain. 
Brad, Thanks for your input.  I am using my Macbook Pro with Pure Music as my server for AIFF files. Will try using it with a DAC to SYS to Nuforce. The SYS-Nuforce will replace a NAD C356BEE integrated. Also have a Pathos Model One MK2 I rotate in. Speakers are: B&W 685s or Focal 706s. Looking to upgrade speakers in 2019. This is a secondary system.
Thanks for the heads-up Devilboy! I have a Jolida Fusion preamp. Likely too much gaib for the 200. Won't even try it now. Have other use for the amp. Thonking of using it with a DAC/Pre of passive, currently a Schiit SYS but considering the Lightspeed. 
Laughing at my last post. Don't know what gaib is, and don't know how to Thonk. Any help?
The test was done into a 4 ohm load. Rated output was measured as 76wpc. Seems to me one might consider this amp as a 40wpc at 8ohm supplier. Did I miss something?
Just received my STA200 and am playing it via a Schiit SYS. As to my earlier post today, my only concern was about power output not sound quality. My amp is a demo unit, however I have no idea about the number of hours use it has taken. Out of the box it sounds quite nice, my impression is that at $500 it is a high value amplifier which requires careful pairing to regarding signal strength and speaker load. 
I am a fan of 2-way monitors. Most rated at 6-8ohms that I am familiar with have an impedance dip below 4ohms somewhere usually at bass frequencies. I can't help thinking some caution need be applied when using a amp that provides 80wpc at 8ohms and same into a 4ohm load.

Currently I can use my STA200 with B&W 685s, Focal 706s, and the Esoteric MG-10s. All possess the aforementioned impedance dip. I will get back to all after I have more experience with this amp.
It obviously would provide greater options if one was wanting to make a change in speakers. Are you looking to make changes in your current system?
This amp produces no more power into 4 ohms than into 8 ohms.
Sensitivity is 0.45V for full output.
Gain is 35dB.

Very sensitive to source voltage and speaker load. At 51K ohms input impedance and the high input sensitivity a good candidate for a passive. Maybe try to set a stop on the passive pre so that volume can't be turned such that the degree of attenuation becomes too low overdriving the input stage. 

I will be using my STA200 with caution!

Kalali, if my understanding is correct, because the voltage required to reach max output is low, sensitivity is high.  Given the output voltage of most sources today, the sensitivity and gain of this amp would call for judicious use of the volume control of any preamp. I have not yet approached 11 o-clock with my SYS passive.

Jetter, not knowing any more about the specifics of aysancorluham's situation it is hard to guess at why his amp 'blew up'. I would be cautious about using this amp with any speaker not known to be easily driven by an amplifier. To me that mean a speaker that doesn't dip below 6 ohms across the frequency range, and having a sensitivity of 87dB or higher depending on the size of the room in which the system is to be used.  

Finding such a speaker, one I feel fits into a budget commensurate to a $500 amplifier and $50 passive, is the difficult part. I am still looking.  

Well, I might just be overly cautious. I need to spend more time with my STA200. I certainly am happy with it's sonics and it seems compatible with my PS Audio Digital Link III via the SYS. In addition to the speakers I mentioned earlier, I also have a pair of Dali Zensor 1s which don't drop lower that 5ohms and are 88dB sensitive. I will try the amp with these as well. 

I purchased this amp for use with a passive pre in an attempt to build a low cost high quality system.  Though I don't believe specs tell the whole story, I do believe there are some that certainly help to insure electronic compatibility between components when putting together a system. I have learned much from this forum toward that end. I remain with much more to learn.

Happy New Year to all!
Jetter, Thanks. I was not familiar with the Copland pre. Looks to be a fine unit.  

Aberyclark, Yes we need more info re the blown amp. So far no response to your previous post asking for clarification.
George, Yes in the old days (1970) I had a Sansui AU 555 integrated at the heart of my system. 30wpc. Currently I use a BEL 1001MK5. 50wpc. Course the BEL is in a different league entirely in its ability to drive speakers. Mike
My STA200 is also dead quiet. Have used it with two speakers of 6-8ohms, 87dB for limited hours as it is new  Might be a compatibility problem with your preamp. Does hiss get louder as you turn up volume? Usually a gain driven hiss problem becomes more a concern with highly sensitive speakers. That said, I would not choose this amp for use with a speaker having an average load of 4ohms (see discussion above). 
Jl35, that is good to know. The speakers I own are rated higher than that, however do drop below 4ohms in the bass region. Phase angle at these frequencies is benign however. In what size room is your system?
Jl35, yes I agree with both your points, re power output and preamp use. My thing is that I buy an amp for the long haul, and using one in a way that it is not designed for (underpowered for the load presented) is not conducive toward that end.

Jetter, I have not yet used the STA200 with my all tube Jolida preamp, as that was not the intent when I bought it. The Jolida has a gain of 20dB. I expect that I would find that I am using it's volume control at very low settings with this amp. Not sure about the hiss issue. I will give this a try and get back on that.
Again, I want to make it clear that I am not faulting this amp for it's quality. I like this amp!  
Yes, I have enjoyed the SYS using it as a stand alone passive pre with both the STA200 and Dynaco ST-70. I have not yet tried it as an attenuator between my Jolida  Fusion tube pre and the STA200. This I will do in the future and report back. The Jolida is mated to a BEL 1001 MK5 in my main system. 

The combination of the SYS with the STA200 when paired to the right speakers makes for clean and detailed sonics. One of the best deals in audio. 
Looking forward to your thoughts on the SYS/STA200 direct into your Zu speakers. 
I agree with mrdecibel, the SYS is a good way to explore the merits of using a passive. I would probably upgrade from it in my main system. 

The SYS is not the most basic as it allows two inputs.