One Amp To ‘Rule’ Them All....

Is there one amplifier that everyone can agree on as a contemporary standard? An amplifier that can be considered a standard in both the studio and in a home stereo setup?

What one amplifier does everything very well and can be found in homes and in professional audio engineering environments?

What amp covers all the bases and gives you a glimpse into all qualities of fine musical reproduction?

...something Yamaha? ...something McIntosh?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbrettmcee

Showing 4 responses by rodman99999

A chameleon amplifier that could morph any system and room combo, into something that pleases every taste/preference, in music/presentation? Imagine all that!  Once someone like Lyngdorf, manages to meld FFT/DSP with EEG, maybe.
@brettmcee-  "Giant tube-based amps are generally not to be found it professional settings." and, "You are more likely to find......solid state amps in recording/mixing/mastering environments."
I beg your pardon? In what, "professional setting" would one find a, "giant tube-based amp", to start with? But, to date, the very best mic pre-amps/power supplies and record-cutting amps, are still tubed. Some of the most highly regarded(and holographic) recordings, of all time, were mastered on tube-based gear. ie: Research such as Parlophone Records Ltd, Bernie Grundman Mastering, Abbey Road Studios and Sheffield Labs, as regards their awards, discographies and artists/customer-lists. Doug Sax was quoted as saying, "Digital Finishes What the Transistor Started.”(then again, he wasn’t a DJ)
@michaelgreenaudio- "What if you drove to the next HEA trade show and instead of walking into rooms where everything sounded different and there was only a volume control to adjust, you instead walked into rooms where you could sit down and make everything and every recording sound your way?" If everything sounded, "your way", wouldn’t that result in some VERY happy brain-waves? Like I said earlier, once someone like Lyngdorf manages to meld FFT/DSP(and their Room Perfect algorithms, for instance) with EEG, maybe. If someone can imagine it, tap into your Happy-Listening-Synapses and come up with the algorithm, why not? My TacT RCS 2.2(Boz was Lyngdorf’s old partner), with all of it’s room correction abilities, has enabled me to shape my sound, in a way that puts me in another venue and very happy. If this is possible via laptop keyboard(and TacT), why won’t it eventually be done via thought and some new device, like THIS: https://newatlas.com/mind-controlled-prosthetic-fingers/41886/ Then again, why not a direct feed, to your brain’s listening centers(who needs ears, anyway), or- a way to trigger a little extra Dopamine, whenever music’s playing, so everything sounds good, regardless? https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-musical-self/201101/why-listening-music-makes-us-feel-g... Now, THAT would be really, "High-End"!
"The notion of a one size fits all in any respect is more fantasy than honesty."    EXACTLY and why the OP would equally as well served, if searching Mordor, for that beloved, "One Ring to rule them all".