Parasound P/LD-2000

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Parasound P/LD-2000 preamp. Does anyone have some insight on this unit? I can't seem to find too much information on this pre.

ghw
ghw
You seem to make alot of contradictions King_tut.
First, you claim the P/LD-2000 is a masterpiece, then we hear you don't even own one.
Then you say that you want to buy one.
You then claim there are preamps out there that are "head and shoulders above the Parasound".
Why would you want to find one and buy it if this is true?
You claim in this thread that you play golf with Richard Schram, but, in a personal e-mail to me you claim that you are fortunate enough to be connected to one of Richard Schrams closest friends which is a Parasound dealer! So which is it?
You also stated that one of John Curls top three preamps of all times was going to be upgraded and become the JC-2...NO WAY!
Curls current top preamp design is the hand built CTC Builders "Blowtorch" preamp which retails for at least $15,000.00! I cannot imagine the Blowtorch being "upgraded" to become a Parasound JC-2!
Now in another thread you are wanting to know how the Parasound P/LD-2000 and the Parasound Halo P-3 compare to one another. Jeez, if the P/LD-2000 is such a "masterpiece" you should know the answer to that one.
Finally, you claim that Burr-Brown DAC's are bright and "scream like a witch"...nonsense!
I have a Linn Unidisc universal player that uses the best Wolfson DAC's. Daltonlanny has a modified Toshiba SD-4960 that uses Burr-Brown DAC's.
In all instances, the Toshiba with the Burr-Browns is smoother, more analog-like, and has more inner detail than my Linn!
I have also compared my Linn to an Esoteric DV-50 which uses the Burr-Brown 1738 DAC's. While I preferred my Linn by a slight margin, the DV-50 was slightly smoother, more laid-back, and sounded slightly warmer and more analog like.
Angela
Hello; I own & use a 2000 P/ld I has come some way now since it was new. 2 areas of refinement were 1- the power supply and 2- the feedback circuit. Some small changes to 1 & 2 enhanced the preamp nicely, musically speaking. The remote control feature is icing on the cake...
I just couldn't help but want to jump into an old argument. I've got a JC-2 nah, na, na na, na! It's awesome as well as sexy. I couldn't help but be entertained with this thread though.

For anybody still reading this, go to www.parasound.com, click on the JC-2, go to reviews, and read Max Dudious's review for comparisons to the 2000 P/LD and other previous iterations of the Parasound preamps.
What can I say,
I guess we were right about the JC-2.
It was NOT a rumor after all!
Audio_girl
Yep, Ktatterbugaol has it. The power supply is the weak point on this pre; too small. add an outboard 500VA toroid power trans, and the thing really comes to life. Will cost you 50-60 bucks if you do it yourself.