Pioneer SA9100 & TX9100 repair near McLean VA? (Worth it?)

Hi, my neighbor's husband recently passed away and left her with a number of interesting pieces of vintage gear. Included are the following: Pioneer SA-9100 amp (a beauty) and Pioneer TX-9100. I smoke tested both, but stopped because the amp failed to output anything other than background noise and an exceedingly weak signal to my sacrificial speakers (known to be good).

I'd like to get an estimate for repair of both (also looking at re-capping/mods), preferably local to avoid shipping. In my opinion, both of these have a very nice look and feel, and some great features. I just don;t know what they sound like "fixed" or "modded".

Do you think these are worthwhile repairing? 

Do you have a suggestion for a repair person who is familiar with these?

Thanks!

128x128vicweast

Showing 7 responses by jl35

last recapped, refurbed SA-9100 on ebay sold for $350...probably no way the repair and refurb will cost less than that...
Recapping will improve the sound considerably. Not really worth if financially/sonically, but if you like the unit....I had my old Yamaha integrated recapped and still enjoy using it 40 years later...
some prefer the sound of vintage gear, and those models refurbished in good shape can have value
and cost way more than $200 to have the work done, not to mention whatever repair it needs...My Yamaha CA-810 cost $350 for a partial refurb 10 years ago...again, I love the SA-9100 but if the owner is simply looking to turn a profit...
the ad said caps and transistors replaced..I have no way to know...agree it's a great piece, I have one...to fix up to use and enjoy is great, but as a money maker not so sure the time and effort worth the small potential return.  I am well aware of all the "serviced" ads that only had controls cleaned and a bulb changed
I agree, that's why I think if the new owner is not particularly interested in vintage electronics, it might be best to make an easy quick $150 and not deal with all the issues of repair, refurb, sale, shipping...if the new owner likes vintage gear, as we obviously do, it's a great place to start with a refurb and a great new system...