Please...dont flame me (Bose 901-Series I help)

OK,

So I absolutely understand the angst that these particular speakers/brand can elicit.

However, these particular speakers (the series I in particular) have always been on my bucket list since my pre-teens. They were my first exposure to anything resembling high fidelity, thus, I have always wanted a pair.

Now in my mid 40’s...ahem....I had a pair dropped in my lap for no $$$. Cherry condition, original drivers and original EQ (crossover).

My quandary is this, I only have this Yamaha RX-V461 multi media receiver to drive them. On paper, the RMS per channel is 100WPC. The issue is, I just do not feel like the speakers are getting enough juice to really make them sing.

Placement and listening room requirements are met, and in all honesty, the sound pretty damn good at high volume. Its just that I get the feeling that the receiver gets a little winded and sounds a little artificial to my ear.

I am hoping that swapping in either a power amp (using the Yamaha as a pre-amp) or an analogue "Beast" vintage receiver will warm up and fill out the sound at all volume levels.

I have this rig set up as a secondary, "just for ----- and giggles" rig. Currently using an MP3 player as a source, with plans for a single CD player here shortly. I used a friends CD player as source prior, so the issue I am thinking is indeed the amp.....i think.

I am hoping that someone here could give me some ideas as to what to look for as a good match up for these speakers. Cheap is good, "sleeper amps" are always a joy, so if there is a little known but desirable rig (think Realistic STA-2100) I am all ears.....haha....get it? All ears.....?
morwatts

Showing 1 response by gdnrbob

A good power amp is requisite for the 901's.
You could go vintage and get an Adcom 555, or maybe something newer like a McCormack DNA-1. Both should power the 901's as they should.
B