PLEASE match Advice Pass Labs X350.5 (20k) to Hovland HP-100 (2500ohms) Miss-match ???

GUYS / GALS NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!

A friend said this preamp is outstanding and will sound great with Pass Labs amps and to not get caught up in the specs but the measurements say different.

Pass Labs X350.5 amplifier with input Impedance 30k ohms Balanced or 20k ohms Single ended* 
(*source Pass Labs Manual)  

Hovland HP-100 source impedance 2500ohms* 
(*source Stereophile) 

Guys / Gals, can I used my Pass Labs X350.5 amp with Hovland HP-100 preamp? Has anyone used Pass amps with Hovland pre's. I will be using Magico S5 Speakers and Bricasti M1SE DAC but want it to sound the best it can. Should I just stick with the Aesthetix Calypso pre I was leaning toward before my gut said to go for the Hovland HP-100

Hovland HP-100 Preamplifier: * Output impedance: approximately 2500 ohms or according to Atkinson, Hovland HP-100 (2500ohms) its source impedance was high at 2.4k ohms, rising to 4.3k ohms at 20Hz. The partnering power amplifier would best have an input impedance of at least 47k ohms if the bass is not to sound lean*. The Pass Labs doesn't meet the x10 requirement it is supposed to but it is sort of close when looking at it. What do you guys think? I am not sure what to do but you guys will know what to do?

Stereophile: Its input impedance was a usefully high 100k ohms in the midrange and bass, with just a small reduction to a still-high 86k ohms at 20kHz. Despite the claim that the HP-100 uses a cathode follower output stage, its source impedance was high at 2.4k ohms, rising to 4.3k ohms at 20Hz. The partnering power amplifier would best have an input impedance of at least 47k ohms if the bass is not to sound lean.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/hovland-hp-100-preamplifier-measurements#YZXZfGLbbL2COkLR.99 https://www.stereophile.com/content/hovland-hp-100-preamplifier-measurements#YZXZfGLbbL2COkLR.99
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack

Showing 5 responses by jond

So if you are just looking at used preamps here this caught my eye.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-just-factory-serviced-perfect-2017-09-25-preamplifiers

No affiliations and a max output impedance of 1200 ohms would seem to work on paper, I'm not much of a measurements guy. It's also well constructed with a very stiff outboard power supply. I've never heard any Canary stuff personally but its always looked intriguing to me and this fits your price range.
So Al is right the word maximum is a bad cut n paste from the gain spec. It is a C-800 Mk2 so that impedance spec is right but no idea how it varies at different frequencies. Whichever way you go good luck I know its hard taking a blind leap of faith but at least buying used you can often resell for minimal loss.
I just want to thank you for questimation what a fantastic word! Also a bit of general advice, slow down just a bit. I know it's exciting to get new gear but you seem to be making changes at a pretty breakneck pace. Take a little time live with your new speakers, get used to the sound and get the right preamp. You may save yourself money, time, and future rounds of upgrades. Either way have fun and happy listening!
@fsmithjack  You can't add pics here but you can upload them to any image hosting site and post a link here. And good luck with your experimenting I hope you get your speakers sounding the way you want!
@frozentundra did you mean Matsushita? If so I agree excellent 7dj8 tubes I use them in my preamp.