Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
If you can find them, try the Sylvania 5932s. I would say, however, that the Tung Sol 5881 are a close second. What is the rectifier tube now?
Aloha Slowhand,

I am using Svetlana 6L6GC's instead of the 5881's. Several guys on the Tube Asylum have said that the Svet's are really good. I have to agree so far. I had ordered RCA Black Plates, but the consensus on the Tube Asylum is that they are over-rated especially for the price, so I cancelled them.

I am also using a Mullard 5AR4 rectifier.

So far I have rolled the Syl 6SN7GT's and the Ken Rad VT231's (also in military boxes). Actually, I just sent an email to see if he has anymore.

The Ken Rads are awesome, but the difference I heard between the Syls and Ken Rads could also be attributed to break-in of the preamp. I put the Syls in from day one and just switched to VT231s yesterday. I also tried a couple of tweaks to my system last night that really elevated the sound, so if I were to stick the Syls back in they may sound just as good now. Will try them again in a month or so.

But I gotta tell ya, this thing is really singing. I never listened to it with stock tubes, but with the tubes I just described, this pre is simply amazing.

Aloha,

Warren
And BTW, this thing is drop-dead gorgeous. I ordered mine in Chrome/Piano Black/Gold knobs.

I know the gold knobs sounds strange, but they really set things off. I felt like chrome knobs would have been too much of a good thing. I like the way this looks a lot.

In a couple of the posts above there were concerns about the build quality, but it far exceeds what I expected. The Piano Black finish is as good as the grand piano in my business. And you can't even begin to see a joint line in the corners of the boxes.

Well done, Mick. You have allayed any and all of my fears.

Aloha,

Warren
I replaced my stock 5881 with a Sovtek 5V4G, its a bit taller. It sounds really good. I didn't get a chance to listen ot the stock 5881 due to other problems I was having. But the sovtek works just fine and it cost only $7.99.
Since the title of this discussion is "Preamp Deal of the Century" perhaps people not in posession of a Supretek should read the comments in another discussion about the H-Cat P-12. I don't own either, I just want to find the best for the money, but according to an ex-Supratek user the H-Cat is 'king of the hill'...for about the same amount. We are either on the verge of a revolution or its all smoke and mirrors - so far I don't know.