Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
And BTW, this thing is drop-dead gorgeous. I ordered mine in Chrome/Piano Black/Gold knobs.

I know the gold knobs sounds strange, but they really set things off. I felt like chrome knobs would have been too much of a good thing. I like the way this looks a lot.

In a couple of the posts above there were concerns about the build quality, but it far exceeds what I expected. The Piano Black finish is as good as the grand piano in my business. And you can't even begin to see a joint line in the corners of the boxes.

Well done, Mick. You have allayed any and all of my fears.

Aloha,

Warren
I replaced my stock 5881 with a Sovtek 5V4G, its a bit taller. It sounds really good. I didn't get a chance to listen ot the stock 5881 due to other problems I was having. But the sovtek works just fine and it cost only $7.99.
Since the title of this discussion is "Preamp Deal of the Century" perhaps people not in posession of a Supretek should read the comments in another discussion about the H-Cat P-12. I don't own either, I just want to find the best for the money, but according to an ex-Supratek user the H-Cat is 'king of the hill'...for about the same amount. We are either on the verge of a revolution or its all smoke and mirrors - so far I don't know.
Its not a revolution, just capitalism operating as it should. Other manufacturers hate a guy like Mick because he doesn't play the game of making everyone think that we should actually thank the manufacturers for the astronomical prices. They've got a closed system where the magazines incestuously support the manufacturers' agenda and vice versa from the manufacturers through sweetheart deals to the mags. I am not saying its a star chamber conspiracy, but there is a strong, determinant and tacit one occuring where the dynamics of the market are highly distorted. This occurs because the freedom of information is controlled by those entities and people most interested in distorting it for their own gains (Does any of this sound familiar? Enron, etc?). The mags will never cover a guy like Mick because he's not going to plunk down 20K for a six month black-and-white advert contract. This unbridled ideal of infinite self-interest distorts, for the consumer, the balance between democracy (freedom of information) and capitalism (freedom of self-interest). Like many sub-systems within the greater economy, the dynamics of our little microcosm are distorted where individuals at the top of the hierarchy have gained sufficient control over the means of information dissemination to redistribute value from the serfs to the nobility.

Hey, didn't we fight this already two hundred years ago? I take that back, it is (could be still) a revolution.

What is the nature of the Matrix? Control.

If you still can't hear this, then just buy the pre.
Asa,
I have read many, many posts regarding the subject of your last post. I have not, however, ever read one as well written.
You don't happen to be the Asa that writes for Playboy do you?

Regards,
Patrick