Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Eminents, I had never heard of the Croft until your post. So I looked up the piece. The Croft may cost about half of the Supratek, but it DOES NOT have a phono stage. The phono stage of the Supratek itself justifies the $2500 price tag. The Supratek may not be the end all line stage (though I think it is pretty darn amazing), but it does have a world class phono stage.

There are a whole lot of preamps that cost much more than the Supratek that are not nearly as versatile or have as high of sound quality as the SUpratek does.

KF
Whether it be line or phono, I've listened to Croft and I'd have to say that Eminents is exaggerating profusely.
Also... This Eminents fellow is a Croft dealer! Isn't it great when dealers make claims like this in the discussion forums?

see ad:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1053570003&2&3&4&
Dennis the Menace asked about line conditioning results. I would also be interested in feedback on this subject.
My Syrah is plugged into a dedicated 20Amp line ( dedicated for all components) and I have very good results. The outlets are "constuction" grade, which I would rate only slightly better that standard commercial outlets. The Syrah is dead quiet with excellent dynamics. I have yet to experiment with power cords or line conditioners. Note that I did seperate the Syrah's power supply well away from other components and the pre section of the Syrah.
I no longer use line conditioners of any type. I found that conditioners cast their signature over the entire system - even into components which do not benefit from the conditioner. Upon extensive auditioning with various power cords and conditioners, I found that the conditioners only really benefited digital components. It seemed silly having one component plugged into a conditioner - given that the conditioners had multiple outlets.

For me, the best results were obtained by using various power cords - specifically chosen for each component - plugged into dedicated outlets. This allowed me to tune the system with far better results - and greater precision -than by simply using a power conditioner.

The Supratek signature can be tuned with either device (conditioners or cords) however in my system I haven't been able to find a robust cord which ads improvement without a negative side effect. For example, if my system has any more bass, it would be more than what seems accurate or appropriate. Many of the PC's I've tried on the Supratek have increased the "slam" of the bass dramatically and I find this puts the bass out of proportion with the rest of the music.

There is a point when a system becomes very difficult to balance... adding positive influence without taking or distracting.

Currently, I use a Bybee pro power cord with my Supratek because I found it to have little or no side effects.