Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Also... This Eminents fellow is a Croft dealer! Isn't it great when dealers make claims like this in the discussion forums?

see ad:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1053570003&2&3&4&
Dennis the Menace asked about line conditioning results. I would also be interested in feedback on this subject.
My Syrah is plugged into a dedicated 20Amp line ( dedicated for all components) and I have very good results. The outlets are "constuction" grade, which I would rate only slightly better that standard commercial outlets. The Syrah is dead quiet with excellent dynamics. I have yet to experiment with power cords or line conditioners. Note that I did seperate the Syrah's power supply well away from other components and the pre section of the Syrah.
I no longer use line conditioners of any type. I found that conditioners cast their signature over the entire system - even into components which do not benefit from the conditioner. Upon extensive auditioning with various power cords and conditioners, I found that the conditioners only really benefited digital components. It seemed silly having one component plugged into a conditioner - given that the conditioners had multiple outlets.

For me, the best results were obtained by using various power cords - specifically chosen for each component - plugged into dedicated outlets. This allowed me to tune the system with far better results - and greater precision -than by simply using a power conditioner.

The Supratek signature can be tuned with either device (conditioners or cords) however in my system I haven't been able to find a robust cord which ads improvement without a negative side effect. For example, if my system has any more bass, it would be more than what seems accurate or appropriate. Many of the PC's I've tried on the Supratek have increased the "slam" of the bass dramatically and I find this puts the bass out of proportion with the rest of the music.

There is a point when a system becomes very difficult to balance... adding positive influence without taking or distracting.

Currently, I use a Bybee pro power cord with my Supratek because I found it to have little or no side effects.
BWhite is correct with many more advanced systems, especially ones that aim towards musicality, rather than just always going towards accuracy; namely, power conditioners become percieved as progressively sterile, in that the space is rendered more void-like, and harmonics loose that very-hard-fought-for last smidgen of harmonic depth (leading edge transients on breath inhale/exhale can loose "wetness" also, etc.). So, it gets tough. This is why you saw many guys going to Bybee's some years ago, and why some more are going towards Hydra's now; because their systems get along far enough and they still are following the "lower noise floor gives better sound" philosophy, but haven't realized yet that they can get by with "less" these days (see below)and these conditioners do the least harm in more advanced systems (I haven't heard the Stealth, but the systems I've seen like it do not lead me to a different conclusion).

The Supratek pre seems to act in this manner, in the sense that it likes good outlets (I have a...can't remember the name, the expensive ones that came out a few years back, mine has a "381" model number...I'm getting old), but doesn't seem to be cheered up by conditioners (it hated my Bybee Sig and that is one of the more palatable ones IMHO). I've never had a pre dislike the Electraglide Fat Boy, but the Syrah sure didn't like it. I ended up with the Discovery that I fished out of a box I hadn't looked into in ten years and it does no harm - which is a good thing. (Bwhite, I've got a Bybee PC laying around in the attic so I'll listen to it later on and let you all know what I think).

When you first start a system, and you get everything relatively balanced, power conditioners make a big difference. This is because, invariably, your system is digitally based, weighted towards accuracy (you can improve accuracy in a beginner to mid level system much more vis-a-vis harmonics, space, etc.). The digital gear likes to be filtered and the removal of artifacts and distortion in the space renders the source in greater relief, and whatever wrong the conditioner is committing on the musicality route is unpercieved because the system can't hear it yet, or its lack, so to speak. Then you follow the natural route and look into PC's, and, yes, they help. But, you start getting the creeping feeling (especially if you introduced tubes along the way) that "something" is being taken away. And, so, you get in this PC shopping/auditioning spree trying to find the balance - and sometimes you do, its just everytime you introduce a more musical component, the balance seems to go out of wack again, and always sourced in origin to the conditioner/PC system interaction. Finally, you end up removing the conditioner and concentrate on the cords and outlets, and the last five years of advancement in PC's makes this even more feasible (and, hence, why more people are beginning to see it). Conditioners came first many moons ago and were a good thing in the absense of better PC's outlets etc., but now this approach to system building is not as well entrenched. Yes, still keep the conditioner on the dig gear, and, yes, if you get a lot of crap into your lines from where you live you may need one, but just consider as your system advances that that conditioner that served you well in the mid-level of your system, may not be the same thing later on. Things change...
Thanks Asa. But what about isolation transformers? These aren't really filters, but rather regulators of the power, no?