Preamp with lots of outputs?

What some recommendations for great preamps with LOTS of outputs. The more the better.

Thanks
doug_kraz
Doug,

I, like several others here, didn't really imagine using all those devices as recording devices, which is apparently what you intend?

I can't think of any preamps with more than 4 outputs. You will probably need some "professional" switching device to avoid unplugging and re-plugging cables from an "audiophile" preamp. And do you want your outputs to go through the preamps volume control or not? That will potentially reduce the number of outputs that are suitable for your need on many preamps.

My apologies.
Hi Doug,

Thanks for clearing up the actual need. Although you did specifically ask for "outputs", in the context of most people's systems (most people don't have 11 recording devices in their rig), that didn't make sense, hence the questions. Now that we know you intend to record to all of those devices, you might get some useful input (no pun intended).

I do have a couple of additional clarifying question: Do the outputs need to be typical preouts or do they need to be "tape monitor type" outputs? I don't use my system for any type of recording pass-though, so I just don't know. It would seem that they would need to be tape monitors because I wouldn't think you would want these outputs to be controlled by the pre-amp's volume control. I'm guessing you would need a pass-through output/input like used in a tape loop. Also, several of the devices would apprear to require digital inputs/outputs for maximum recording quality. Can you use digital outs to record to the digital devices? Lastly, do you require a 2-channel pre-amp or a multi-channel pre-amp processor (since you have some HT devices like TiVo and VCR on the list)?

I don't recall ever seeming a pre-amp that has this many outputs. Maybe some of the larger pre-amp processor will, but I don't shop in that market. Lastly, I think some of the custom builders can add about as many outputs/inputs as you could need. Space-Tech Labs comes to mind. They are 2-channel tube pre-amps and can be customized as needed. They have a website, so you can check them out.

Enjoy,

TIC
You might want to mention the small detail that you were looking to use that many recording devices, all of which are sources as well (other than the equalizer). You had the ample opportunity to do so, but instead posted a rather abrasive retort in all-caps, as a response to what were simply helpful suggestions. You are just getting back what you put out, Your Highness.

Folks in an audiophile forum aren't likely to make the leap that you are wanting to plug in that many recording devices into a system without benefit of a tape-monitor loop. You might also want to pose the same question in a Home-theatre forum, and or a Pro-Audio forum. A possible solution might be to get a Line-Level splitter from a Pro-Audio supplier, such as those made by Behringer. The only further hurdle you may face, as you may already know if your equalizer is a pro-audio rig, is that the outlets are most likely balanced or 1/4" headphone plug size. Either can be adapted to RCA, but you would need the appropriate adapters. Beyond that, it seems like you've got a few good answers from folks already (ARC, McIntosh and various customizers - Dan Wright may modify his fine 9.0SE preamp to your specs at a reasonable cost).

You may get much more from these, and any other online forums, by spelling out as much information as you can right from the start. Besides omitting the obvious detail of using the outputs for recording devices, you might want to put a price range on your "great preamp", and add any preferences that you might have (tube or SS, what is the rest of your system - amp would be a pretty critical link here - the kind of music you listen to...all these details are somewhat helpful in recommending a component to fit into your system). And lay off that caps-lock key...people tend to take that as your yelling at them, and I suspect you are using to exactly that end.

Good luck with your pursuit.

Marco

If it makes everyone feel better, I will take responsibilty. I admit I asked a question. But I don't admit answering a question with a question because I never answered the question.
I felt compelled to chime in here. From what I read, it seems that the initial post started by Tripper further exacerbated by the humor in Jax2's posting had caused a whole lot of mess here. Looks like Doug really needs some outputs! Chill out guys. Oh and by the way, asking a question to a question is not a big deal at all in order for someone to fully understand the question that may or may not be clear. Hence Rwwear you need not take responsibility.