Problem with my Sony SCD-777ES

My Sony has developed a problem. It generally refuses to play SACDs, and when it will play them, it does so with a very audible mechanical clicking sound. A bit temperamental with redbook CDs as well.

Here in the SF Bay Area, Sony no longer has a repair depot that accepts customer drop-offs. I would need to ship the unit to them, which I would prefer to avoid if possible. To get counter service, I need to go to a Sony authorized service provider, but I wonder if any of these shops really know what they are doing with a unit like the 777.

Any thoughts?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I have the same problem with my 10 months old 777ES. A while ago it began stopping and resuming to play after a couple of seconds in SACD mode. As of yesterday it refuses to play SACD all together. Sometimes it says NO DISC and sometimes it reads the TOC, starts to play and then stops and says NO DISC. I also noticed on rare ocasions short pauses in the "red book" mode. Is this happening to you guys too? On another note, a friend of mine made a copy of couple of CDs for me. The CDs play fine in my car and in my portable CD player. The 777ES completely refuses to even acknowledge them. Is this common? These are the only two "copies" of CDs I have ever had (out of about 1200 total). By the way, all my CDs are clean and have no scratches for those who think I should clean them and give the 777ES another try.
Interesting! With SACD I get the NO DISC message and also a hang in TOC read mode. I also get a lot of skipping with redbook CDs, a problem I never had with my Levinson or the two JVC CDPs I had before. However, I have had no trouble reading the few CDRs I've tried.

JD, just in case this turns out to be a major problem (not likely, but who knows), I think I should let Sony handle it under warranty. But I sure hope it doesn't take several months!
Drubin, your problem is one that fortunately I have not yet had but that all of us who have had our Sony players modified live in fear of, I guess. JD, thanks for the tip on Richard Kern, and good to see you back.
Olesno, this sounds very similiar to my problem. It was not the spindle motor but rather the transport motor on my machine. The early Sony SACD spindle motors had problems I was told, but mine was the other.
Drubin, I agree, if your still under warrenty just send it in. When I sent my player in I went to an Audio store "Audio King" who has a 30 day return poilocy and they suggested I try a player and bring it back before 30 days. Very cool! I tried the 9000... not impressed.
Rcprince, thank-you.
Jadem6, how nice to have you back! All these reports give me the jitters and I keep on touching wood. So far the thing is working and slowly breaking in. The Audience mod is truly amazing.