Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451

Showing 2 responses by elizabeth

I have read plenty of negative stories about the current situation with Sony repair.
It is totally outsourced now. And not very good either from reports.
My own Sony repair horror story was rather negative too. So i just accept they suck.
MY one experience with a Sony repair left me knowing I would never use any Sony repair service again. Same thing as mentioned, no repair actually done, but definite extra damage. I own a SCD777ES, but stopped using it, as I bought a Marantz SA-10. The Marantz is better, And not glacially slow to load either LOL My SCD777ES will not play the SACD of dual disc. but WILL play SACD only disc just fine.( it no longer matters..I also own a 333ES and a 555ES five disc changers which are dead too.
Sony can kiss my )( .....Maybe years ago they were great, but today you could not give me a Sony product for free.