Scratches on acrylic platter Clearaudio Emotion

Hi there!

My question might sound very anal but hey, here it is. I noticed some tiny concentric scratches on the acrylic platter of my Clearaudio Emotion TT. They are isolated from each other and don't come in bunches, so to speak. Although they are very small and very few, I'm a bit disappointed to see them

Are those scratches normal and are they on the platter from the beginning, or could they have been made by some LP? I noticed that once, one LP slipped a little when I brushed it. Otherwise I don't see what could have made those tiny scratches on the platter. But on the other hand, I think it's very strange to have such tiny scratches (however small and few they might be) on a $2000+ TT.

Did someone here have a similar experience with an acrylic platter, especially a Clearaudio acrylic platter?

So as said, this question is very anal and I'm sorry for this but I couldn't help asking it. If everyone wants to share its experience or provide advice, he or she is welcome.

Thank you very much!
boozendormi
I can't see how in normal use you would end up with
the markings you describe, more probable a part of the
platter manufacturing/finishing process.
You didn't mention it, but I assume you bought the TT new. If not, the scratches would be easy to explain.

2 things come to mind. The first is how the TT was packaged. I don't know if every manufacturer uses it, but I've never been a fan of that rough paper that's sometimes used. Some type of dirt or debris may have come into contact with the platter. Many TT parts are made in a machine shop so something like dirt isn't out of the question. And the other possibility is that you may have scratched it during set up. I don't know how Clearaudio does it, but my VPI TT's come with a big metal jig you put on the platter. Not to mention other tools like levels and tracking force gauges. Also, any cleaner that contains alcohol will destroy acrylic.
Hello, thank you very much to you all for your helpful answers.

Sorry that I didn't mention it but yes, I bought this TT new. The platter was wrapped in a sort of soft plastic bag, which was itself placed in the bottom of the box, in a hard foam case. I don't think it comes from here.

I don't think I've scratched it during the set-up either, as I did everything very carefully.

So I assume it may come from the polishing/manufacturing process, as some of you suggested. The other thing is, those scratches follow a regular semi-circular pattern (although they are much smaller than a semi-circle), just as they came from a mechanical process (that's why I wondered if it could have been done by the LP's themselves while turning on the TT).

Just another question, Zd542: when you say that alcohol will destroy acrylic, what will it do exactly? Change the texture of it, I guess, or create spots on it? Anyway, I never used alcohol on the platter and those scratches don't look like checmical damages.
Do you normally brush the LP while it is moving? Could there have been some hard grit in between?
In theory the characteristics of vinyl and acrylic are similar enough that they should not scratch each other?

If this is happening because of grit (and indeed the LP itself could end up being scratched) you could try a mat such as the Ringmat. It offers minimal contact between table & mat as well as Mat-LP.