So many integrated options -- McIntosh 8900, Levinson 585, Lyngdorf 2170, Anthem STR,

just to name a few that I'm considering.  Here's my current situation and what I'm thinking.  I'm currently running a Denon AVR X5200, which is a top level AV receiver, but I use a very powerful Krell power amp, the FPB 400cx, to power the front L/R speakers.  It actually sounds decent, but for my two channel listening, I'm limited to the quality of the pre-amp section in the Denon.  Now, the 400cx is a class A amp, runs very hot, and weighs over 100 pounds.  So, I'm wondering if I can improve my overall sound quality by going with a high end integrated amp for my two channel listening.  I'd also be getting rid of one huge, heavy, and hot box and reducing the need for interconnect cables.

Now, all these units include a home theater bypass, so I could continue to use my Denon for my Blu-ray movies and TV watching, thereby preserving my multi-channel system.  I also use my Oppo 203 to play multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio over HDMI into the Denon.  With one of these integrated amps, I could then connect my Oppo's digital output, my laptop pc, and my turntable, to the IA.  I would think the DAC and associated analog output stages, as well as the phono stage quality of the integrated amps would be superior to that of the Denon receiver.

As to my integrated amp options, I really like the functionality of the McIntosh 8900 in that it can truly serve as a "one box" solution because it includes a nice phono stage.  It also has the upgradeable DAC module, which has the potential to somewhat "future proof" it in case McIntosh releases an upgraded module.  200 wpc.

The ML No. 585 has the highest list price and has great reviews, although it's been out a few years.  It does not offer a modular DAC or phono input, although I could easily obtain a nice phono stage.  200wpc.

The Lyngdorf is currently very hot here on Agon and people are heaping praise on its sound quality.  Again, it has a DAC but no phono stage. Not as much power as the 8900, STR, or 585.

The Anthem STR Integrated is new and also includes MM and MC phono inputs.  200 wpc.  Includes Anthem Room Correction.

Any opinions or experience here with these options?  Thanks much.
mtrot

Showing 1 response by browndt

I have a Pass Labs INT-250.  You will be hard pressed to find a better
amp/preamp combination that can compete with this integrated
amp.  It is expensive, but worth it, in its clarity, simplicity and absolute excellence. I have it connected to a Herron phono amp
and B and W 802 D3 speakers, VPI Prime signature with Van den Hul Strat.

On a separate note I am surprised how many members of this forum make judgements on components before breaking them in.
It takes about 200 hours before some components achieve their potential. For cartridges sometimes more. In the case of my speaker about 1000 hours.