Some Questions about Plasma Screens

1) Do plasma screens suffer "burn -in" from a fixed image, specifically, the logos that every channel now places at the bottom right of the screen? I like the LG 50" plasma [780 P]. There is a more expensive model that claims to reduce the "burn-in" potential, but this model is not available at the big box stores.

2) Will brown-outs fry a plasma screen? Some kid at a big box store said it was necessary to buy a $200- power conditioner/protector to prevent a fried screen. He also claimed that this problem is NOT covered by the warranty.
fatparrot

Showing 2 responses by output555

With the plasma TV bought just a year ago, I've got burn-in from the black pillar bars on either side of the screen. Apparently, because so many of the shows I watch are 4:3 formatted, the black bars burned in and now show up as "shadows" when I'm watching something full screen with a white or light background.
Tonyptony & Markphd,

Yes, my plasma (Hitachi 42") has both the stretch and fill modes available. However, I don't use them for standard 4:3 broadcasts because they distort the picture. I wrongly thought that by using the TV burn-in protection setting (it shifts the image by a few pixels every few minutes when things are static) this would prevent the black bars burning in. Too late now.