Speakers: $3,000-$4,000 on Audiogon

I am moving to a larger listening room (21 x 14) and am looking into new speakers - to pressurize the room, as I tell my wife ;). My current speakers, B&W CDM 9NT, have always sounded to bright in my previous listening room and are currently not at the same level as the rest of my system (click on the system link to see the components and cabling). Cardas cables and a McIntosh have somewhat tamed to extra energy in treble region.
I am looking for a well rounded speaker that excels in all the important areas (dynamics, frequency extension, detail, musicality). If I had a preference, I would lean towards a warmer/less analytical sound but not to the point of sacrificing detail.

Some speakers which I've had my eye on off the top of my head:
Dynaudio Contour S 3.4
Magenpan 3.6
Von Schweikert VR-4jr
Focal JM-Lab 946 Electra

Open to other suggestions,

Thanks in advance
AdamG
adamg

Showing 3 responses by dpac996

Well i'm biased of course. But a good friend, before he moved, had your amp (MC402) and the S3.4s. The preamp was Cary SLP05 and the source was a Marantz SA8001. I've heard the system many times and it had everything you are looking for. I also lugged his MC402 over to my pad to try on my S3.4s (at that time I had a pass x250.5 and we swapped amps). It still sounded excellent and very captivating. I do not have any actual experience with the others listed. I did have Thiel CS2.2s which were the warmest of the 2.x lineup. Still though, the Dyns are much more of what you are looking for. All the detail one could hope for yet forgiving and musical at the same time.
Like I said, I was biased :)
Ttowntony
Do you think, given my system, the S5.4s would be much better than the S3.4s?
I am slightly concerned that the move to the 3 way s5.4 (from 2 way s3.4) while it does offer more extension, might lose that excellent midrange coherence, immediacy, and natural sound of the simpler 2 way...
This is something i'm considering in a speaker upgrade next year. I am all in on the Dynaudio approach and sonic/aesthetic results, but feel like, at this point if I were to toss about $2.5k into my system the most bang for the buck would be from the S3.4 to the S5.4 (assuming everything is a gain).
All apologies to the OP for mis-directing this thread a tad.
Bill,
I know Tony sells Dynaudio. I was asking for his professional opinion. No big deal.
Dave