Speakers for electronic/hiphop/rnb [$4000 range]?

Hello everybody,

Let me start off by saying I don’t know much about hifi. I’m trying to educate myself by visiting forums like these and I’m learning some things but most information goes over my head. And most of you listen to classical/rock/jazz so it’s hard to find an opinion that is relevant to me without asking. I currently have a set of Kef ls50’s that I blind bought because of amazing reviews paired with an arcam a19 integrated amplifier and it’s basically the best purchase I’ve ever made. It’s made me appreciate music in a different way and now I would like to upgrade to a new setup in a designated music room with new speakers and new components. The room will be 12x17.

A store near me sells Harbeth speakers but I think I read bass is lacking in these but I may still try to audition them, I’m not really sure what else is well regarded in my price range..
torontoelectro

Showing 7 responses by torontoelectro

@dgnrbob
Thank you for your response. I will definitely be going to audio stores around the Toronto area to audition speakers, just looking for some direction on which speakers I should be auditioning.

@yogiboy 

I do love the kefs but yeah I'm not sure it's optimal for my music sometimes. The thought of adding a subwoofer has crossed my mind but I then read somewhere that you shouldn't be pairing these with a subwoofer for whatever reason. Also I would like a setup with a bigger sound for my dedicated music room, right now I am just using my kefs as my computer monitors as that's where I listen to most of my music atm and I may just keep it  that way. 
@gregkohanmim 

Thank you very much for your detailed response. It will actually be very helpful in my search since I don't really understand the hifi talk quite yet lol. 
I will be keeping my Kefs 100% as they really make some of my music shine but I guess with some stuff I'd like to have more bass/big sound but without sacrificing quality. 

@everybody else

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will be researching everything suggested and I will stay away from the Harbeths as suggested lol. And so there's no confusion I will not be using the Arcam A19 on my new speakers, I will be buying a new setup completely.
@kenazfilan

Thanks I will look into auditioning the new fortes at my local Klipsch dealer if they have pair just to see if I like the horn sound.

@todd & @greg

I was actually considering auditioning the Golden ear titron 1s which I believe have integrated woofers/subs.. I’ve read people saying good things about them, why exactly don’t you think it’s a good idea to get speakers with build in subs Greg?

Also Greg, I’m not really sure I understand what you were saying about there only being one right volume.. Do you mean they should sound good at any volume?

Oh and how about your thoughts on the Tekton double impacts everybody seems to be talking about? Would that be a good option for me?
Bob you keep bringing up good points, I definitely need  to get out there and find out what I like for myself. It's just nice to have some guidance from people with years of experience to make my search a little easier. 
You guys are pretty awesome with the advice. I don’t think I would have had the plan to audition as much as I do now if I hadn’t come on this forum but you guys have drilled it in my head lol. I’m pretty excited now to start and at the same time a little scared I’ll audition something above my budget and fall in love. I’m already sort of mentally preparing myself to the possibility of  spending 6-7k now because I definitely want to be happy with my setup and enjoy it for 10+ years without the thought of wanting anything else..
Yes absolutely I plan on finding the right speaker then researching amps that pair well with the speaker I chose.