The audio research arc line- from top to bottom.

I have been searching for a balanced tube preamp for some time, recently started to look at the arc line.
I understand that the ref-5 is the best at the moment. I am curious what is second best? Is it the ls-26? Or the ref2 mkII?
Where do the others fall.
pedrillo
I have read that the 6H30 tube will actually last around 10,000 hours. I know that ARC says 5000, but I think that ARC wants owners to always have the best sound, so they recommend a replacement more often.

The "DR" version of the 6H30 gives me more depth and width to the soundstage, better bass control, with a smidgen more deep bass. It also gives a better definition to the highs, with a smoother midrange.

I know at one time BAT only used the "DR" version, but I think that supply might be gone. The 6H30 tubes that I have seen come as a 6H30P, a 6H30P-I and the 6H30P-DR. The normal 6H30 tubes are around $30-$60 and the "DR" tube are anywhere from $160 to $400. I have also read that pre 1983 or so "DR" tubes are the ones to buy.

You might give Viktor at BAT a call or e-mail and ask him for sure.

Here is a link to some more info:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tubes&n=218137&highlight=6h30+dr&r=
BAT no longer includes the DR tubes in their products, even the REX pre-amp, but you can buy those tubes from BAT.......at the going market price....
What about the preamps that came before ls-26???
Are the ls-25, ls-22, ls-17, ls-16 close to the ls-26?????
What will give the biggest bang for the buck?
"The LS-16MKII is one of the worst preamps I have ever heard."

I totally and completey disagree! The LS16MKII is a marvelous sounding preamp. Very open and dynamic with excellent control. No, it doesn't sound as good as a LS26, but it comes pretty damn close.