The audio research arc line- from top to bottom.

I have been searching for a balanced tube preamp for some time, recently started to look at the arc line.
I understand that the ref-5 is the best at the moment. I am curious what is second best? Is it the ls-26? Or the ref2 mkII?
Where do the others fall.
pedrillo
Guys:

The stock ARC tubes in my LS-26 now have around 2500 hours. A few questions for LS-26 owners:

These tubes are rated to 5000 hours--will they really go that far or should I consider replacing them soon? The unit sounds as good as the day I bought it FWIW.

When I get to replacing them I'd be interested in going with an upgraded set of tubes to get the most out of my preamp.

Can you tell us about your experience going from the standard 6H30's to the tubes you got from BAT, which they are calling the 6H30P on the website not the 6H30-DR? In what ways and to what degree did the sound improve? How much did these cost compared to the stock tubes?

Thanks for your help with this.

Also, I've never heard anyone claim the LS-26 is superior to the REF 3 and wouldn't expect it to be at their relative price points. While I have never heard the REF 3 I can say that the LS-26 is a very fine linestage. Not only does it sound incredible but it is solidly built and ergonomically well designed. A really beautiful piece of gear that I will keep for a long while.
I have read that the 6H30 tube will actually last around 10,000 hours. I know that ARC says 5000, but I think that ARC wants owners to always have the best sound, so they recommend a replacement more often.

The "DR" version of the 6H30 gives me more depth and width to the soundstage, better bass control, with a smidgen more deep bass. It also gives a better definition to the highs, with a smoother midrange.

I know at one time BAT only used the "DR" version, but I think that supply might be gone. The 6H30 tubes that I have seen come as a 6H30P, a 6H30P-I and the 6H30P-DR. The normal 6H30 tubes are around $30-$60 and the "DR" tube are anywhere from $160 to $400. I have also read that pre 1983 or so "DR" tubes are the ones to buy.

You might give Viktor at BAT a call or e-mail and ask him for sure.

Here is a link to some more info:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tubes&n=218137&highlight=6h30+dr&r=
BAT no longer includes the DR tubes in their products, even the REX pre-amp, but you can buy those tubes from BAT.......at the going market price....
What about the preamps that came before ls-26???
Are the ls-25, ls-22, ls-17, ls-16 close to the ls-26?????
What will give the biggest bang for the buck?