The JBL K29800; incredible reviews; anyone heard?

I find it incredible that these American made speakers have been available for 5 years in Japan, have been praised in the English press, and have supposedly been released in the US, but no one seems to have any. Is there anyone out there who has them or at least has heard them?
tbg
I checked them out on JBL's website. They cost $27k for the pair. They are nearly a copy of the old Altec Model 19 speaker system with a 15" woofer under a large midrange horn, with a small horn tweeter added on top, which the Altec didn't have. 94db sensitivity. Sort of like a home version of a theater speaker. One thing I didn't like was the midrange crossover at 800Hz, right smack in the middle of the midrange. I'm sure that some people will be interested in this speaker, but it has a pretty high ticket attached.
today many jbl classics including the 4312 mkll and hartsfield are being exported exclusively to japan on a daily basis.
I totally agree about the high price. Apparently once you could get them for $12,500 a pair rather than apiece. I think the materials and the tweeter are substantially above and beyond what Altec did. I am curious more than interested, especially at this price.
I've listened to them on a number of occasions (I live in Japan and every high-end store seems to have a pair at some time or another). The K2 9800s are nice - they are much more musical and 'complete' than the standard JBL monitors and home audio speakers (the S2000, etc) and are definitely a step above the K2 5800s. That said, I could definitely find better ways to spend that kind of money (or even quite a bit less) on speakers. I find them a bit colored in the range of cello music and orchestral music can be a bit muddled. They do female vocals really well.

FWIW, they usually go for abt $13-16k used in Japan.
T_bone, thanks for the comments. Do you think Goto and Ales systems better the JBLs enough to justify the price difference? Do you ever see these systems used in Japan?
I've listened to them on a number of occasions (I live in Japan and every high-end store seems to have a pair at some time or another). The K2 9800s are nice - they are much more musical and 'complete' than the standard JBL monitors and home audio speakers (the S2000, etc) and are definitely a step above the K2 5800s. That said, I could definitely find better ways to spend that kind of money (or even quite a bit less) on speakers. I find them a bit colored in the range of cello music and despite their sensitivity, orchestral music can be a bit muddled without a decent amount of really good-quality power (especially in the mid-range). They do female vocals really well.

FWIW, they usually go for abt $13-16k used in Japan.
Oops, did not mean to post the first as was.... (that was fast Tbg). I am not familiar with the names of "Goto" as relates to speakers. The name "Ales" is familiar to me somehow but I do not remember where. If they are Japanese speaker makers, I have not seen their systems for sale - new, used, demo, or by custom order. But, I'll have a dig around for info now that you've piqued my interest.

Another word on the latest iteration of the JBL K2s: they do percussive sounds really well and they are excellent for listening to jazz, classical with few instruments, or unaccompanied vocals. I do not know what it is with large orchestral music but they are usually bettered by other megabuck speakers in the room on that kind of music when compared (heard them at various times vs Avalon Eidolons, B&W Signature 800s, big JM Labs, & big Dynaudios). Maybe Twl's point about the crossover has something to do with it, I do not know.
Sorry Tbg, I was in the wrong mode - thinking of 'finished' speakers when thinking about Goto/Ale vs JBL - so it completely went over my head. Perhaps it was because I hadn't yet had my coffee...:^) Both Goto and Ale Acoustic (I did not know the spelling until you wrote it b/c in Japan it's always written phonetically) have a superlative reputation for horn drivers (and for horns) - Goto being the grandfather of modern-Japanese horn driver-unit technology and Ale trying to surpass.

I have only once heard ALE horns in a smaller 'set-up' of ALES units. It turned me on to the possibility of horns (and out of all the forms of transducer, I would more like to learn about horns than anything else). They were great for jazz, and violin/cello, and I heard an opera aria which was spell-binding. I don't know what the amp was; the source an EMT turntable.

I do not know how they compare with JBL and or Altec drivers because I have never really listened to JBLs in a really well-done horn system - only in some really old systems where it was unclear whether it was the amp, the source, or the speaker which was turning everything into colored mush.

I would have to guess Ale/Goto drivers/horns are ultimately for REALLY serious DIYer horn-lovers and those who can do without the last few octaves of bass in their system (either that or for people who have absolutely no WAF constraints as even mid-bass horns are HUUUUGE). I have seen magazine articles of people who build their retirement houses around "last octave" bass horns, (with the first 4-5 meters of the horn on the outside of the house), either wrapped around or up the side of the house. I have never actually seen one of those in person though.

One can find ALE mid-bass horns and driver units on the used market if one looks in the right place. They are substantially more expensive than Altec or JBL drivers. I do not think I have ever seen a Goto unit for sale (but then again, I do not regularly look in the place where one could find them so they may be there). I'll keep an eye out and follow up on this thread when I do.

P.S. Thanks for reminding me though. It's a different world and one which is probably a lot of fun digging into...
I do remember an MJ article with the bass compression driver up the hill behind the house and the horn running down the hill to the house. Also the guy was shown sweeping out the mouth of the horn. I do not expect to go there.
Interesting posts here.. seems like a lot of $$$ for those speakers. Interestingly the speakers we use in cinema by JBL either a 2 way or 3 way with a 90 degree HF horn cost less and the xover is at 500hz. This 800hz ( heavy EQ here) reminds me of the Altec VOTT line which were remarkable especially the A4's which could be brought up to THX standards which is different for THX in home theatre. If you could find a few A4's you could put a roof over them and that could be your retirement home at nearly 7 feet high. For being relatively young I have had a great opportunity to work with the JBL's and the Altec's.