The winters lessons.

I think it's time to move on from this past weeks discussions to something new. This past 5 months I've tried out a number of different footers, shelves, tweaks, power cords and conditioners. I'd like to share what I've learned here and hope others will do the same. Due to the unreasonable length of this thread I've broken it into three posts, Footers and shelves, power cords and conditioners and tweaks. That way you only need to muddle through my rambling if they interest you. My basic set-up has not changed this year, SCD-1,Kora pre-amp, Aloia amp and Audio Tekne interconnects (and my Empire turntable, clearly not a major component here). I started trying different footers but I went in a bit different direction that Redkiwi. I have been trying a number of Black Diamond Racing products since using a series of cheap cones and have found through a lot of trial and error a good match for my system. I also bought two sets of (OB) Orchard Bay cones, one titanium and one brass. These became the building blocks for me. As a lot of you know, and some don't like, I have a sandstone slab on a masonry hearth so my base is solid and in effect ground. For Christmas I got some BDR pucks, Cardas caps and these "vibration sheets" sold at Music Direct. As a summary of the following posts I would rate the value of the below items in the following order. 1- BMI power cords, 2- P300 power conditioner, 3- Neuance shelf, BDR puck, 4- Quiteline filters, 5- Monster HTS-2000, 6- dedicated circuit. For the rest you'll have to judge for yourself after reading this. If anyone has particular questions feel free to post or send me an e-mail. I tried to keep notes so I could tell you more, GOD FORBID!
J.D.
128x128jadem6
Yup, as you say Jadem, the cone placed about 1/4 way back next to a screw that secures the power transformers onto the base of the box.
Weight: I DO have a weight on the supply (though mine is heavy) -- forgot a compact dictionary i never use on the box, bit less than the size of the power supply box. Kept it there ever since. I beleive (i.e. voodoo?) it makes a clarity difference, esp. in the mid-low bass.
BTW, my pre is SS -- not that I'm much safer, as you say.
Regards
So Greg, do you think the vocal quality has improved? I'm thinking the dictionary has somehow helped in the pronunciation, thus giving tighter image.
J, not only, but also, this is a FRENCH language dictionary; it seems to work better with Carmen than say, Buddy Guy or Mahler... Do you think we have a case of language-sensitivity?? (Seriously though, give the weight a try... you never know).
Regards
here's a quick update Gregm. I've been playing with some different weight options on my pre-amp power supply and the pre-amp it's self. As you had predicted, by adding 7 lbs (an Iron cat doorstop) above the transformer created a bit better focus. Vocals that were murky are now easier to understand. Guiter strums that were clear before are clear enough now to sense the string with air around it. Noises that were there prior are easier to pick up on and define. I then tried a bronze casting I made back in collage that weighs about 6lbs over the biggest vibration spot on my pre-amp. My God, the bass tightened and intensified so that during bass passages that used to be focused and defined are tighter and have far more physical effect on the body. Amazing! I'm wondering if you can buy brass weights, not "audio tweaks" somewhere. I'd like to play with this further. Does anyone have thoughts on were I might find brass "disks" of different weight?
Thanks Gregm for giving me your thoughts, it just keeps getting better! J.D.
JD: I have used various objects in the same manner and with noticable changes in the sound. I found that the top weighting of my DAC and player reduces harmonics (I like harmonics and the lively sound that they offer), though it does define other areas of the sound, especially the mid bass on down. The best results that I acheived with top weighting was when using Mapleshade brass cones (point down on the top of my player) with a weight (my precious Des Moines brick) above them, resting on the flat sides of the cones. This method firmed up the lower frequencies while leaving the mids and the highs still "open" with very little loss of harmonics (though there was a slight reduction). Problem was that I found the setup to be too precarious. Anyway, try some downward turned points in between your flat weight(s) and the top of the unit(s) and you may like the livlier though somewhat more controlled sound that this method offers.