Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Well, these are the numbers that Rob assigned to my speakers. He may be distinguishing them from the original production run as they were assembled from original parts only a few months ago.
thielrules - yes, that makes sense.

richardyc - it may be of interest that the MCS crossover has some obvious and simply-made upgrade potential. The performance would be better than the CS2.4SE upgrade from a starting point below the regular 2.4.
Anyone know the mfg. and model number of the 8" woofer used in the Thiel CS2?  I was told the CS2.2 woofer could be used as a replacement, but want to explore the used market first.
Rob Gillum at Coherent Source Service might know. And some ebay, etc. resellers sometimes salvage old gear. Also, Madisound was still supplying some parts in the mid 80s and may have a clue. It was probably made (I don't remember for certain) by Vifa. But a stock driver will not work. The motor was custom designed and everything else was specified by Thiel. Normal woofers don't have the smooth high-end rollout needed for first order slopes.
@tomthiel

I bought some JL Audio subwoofers quite a while ago - and their CR-1 crossover (and an Anti-node DSP unit to use on the subs if I want).

I haven’t gotten around to really integrating them yet. Which again will be pushed off for quite a while.

Truly integrating a subwoofer seems to be a very difficult process. It seems to me so daunting because you are essentially, as a layman, becoming a speaker designer. Whereas the skilled speaker designer carfully selected drivers, crossovers etc to integrate the low woofer frequencies, you are throwing that away and saying "I’ll take over from here" below the low pass filter, say, 80 hz.

I have fretted especially about integrating a sub with Thiel speakers given the entire speaker was designed to be time/phase coherent...but if I’m going to add a sub at, say, around 80 hz down, then the exigencies of sub placement etc means I’ll lose the time coherence for the bass frequencies. Am I not right? That is, unless one is using DSP on the whole signal which could set up a proper delay etc between the subs/Thiel speakers.

How did the Thiel subwoofers maintain time/phase coherency?