Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
just received this from Rob as well:  "hi Kent,  Hope everything on your end is going well. I did some research, and here is what I found. In January 2007 the CS3.7 was introduced (original version). On Jan 12 2008 revision 1 was introduced at approximately serial number #517,18. On October 4 2008, revision 2 was initiated at approximately serial number #881,82. Revision 2 is the current layout"

Thanks,

Hey guys - just have to say +1 on adding a sub.  I have 2.3s and don't consider myself predisposed to requiring good bass - it's never been a high priority characteristic I listen for when auditioning equipment -  but based on these discussions and also realizing that what my room was missing was low frequency energy, I picked up an old but nearly perfect REL Storm III sub here on the 'gon a couple weeks ago (budget dictates vintage gear), and wow what a difference!  Not running it with much gain but there is a palpable difference - feels and sounds much closer to live acoustics.  
Oh and not that I am keeping score, esp bc quality is more important than quantity with these threads, but I take some pride in knowing this thread now has more high quality posts than the Tekton Double Impact thread - nice! 

And it was nice to see some of posters here recommended Thiels to the guy with $5000 to spend on new speakers.  Which brings me to my next question for those that have the experience - how do Thiels sound compared to Vandersteens?  Seems like there are many dedicated listeners for both, wonder how they became so attached to one or the other?
how do Thiels sound compared to Vandersteens?
I personally have listened to a pair of Vandersteens driven by some very high end tubes amps at an audio show and I have to say they sound magical.  It's something that I could never forget.  I currently have a pair of CS2.4 in my living room and I have to say it's not quite what I've heard with the Van. at the show, but the amp I have is not some high end tube amps.

I like the Thiel CS2.4 very much but everything considered, I would recommend the Van.  since it's still in production and for most people, I think would be better.
how do Thiels sound compared to Vandersteens?
I have heard Thiel 1.6, 2.4, 2.4SE, 3.7, and 7.2; Vandersteen 2Ce Sig II, 3A Sig, Treo, Quatro, and 7 (the 7 is a true top shelf speaker and it *should* be with that price tag). I have lived with Thiel 1.6 and 2.4SE, and Vandersteen 2Ce Sig II (and am pretty familiar with 3A Sig).

Comparing the Thiel 2.4 to Vandy 2/3, the Thiel has tighter, better defined bass but the Vandersteen has deeper extension. The Thiel has slightly better resolution and transparency. Some have opined that Vandersteens are "warm", "forgiving", and "laid back", Thiels are "bright", "ruthlessly revealing", and "forward". IMO, those are great exaggerations, if not entirely inaccurate. I find both brands quite close to neutral and very musical. For my sonic priorities, I prefer the bass articulation, midrange resolution, and overall transparency of the Thiel.
And with my upgraded crossovers, I think you would have to move up to the carbon driver Vandersteens to match/exceed the clarity, resolution and transparency I'm getting.