Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

bluetone

Welcome! Nice score on the 1.2 and 3.5 models. The 3.5 is a real favorite here among owners. I look forward in reading more about you and your musical tastes.  Happy Listening!

pwhinson

Thank You for the A3 follow up. There are audiophiles who enjoy the dark and/or rolled  treble sound to be sure. Besides the Constellation integrated, what other gear including cabling was in this system?

I look forward in reading about your next Audio journey entry.

Happy Listening!

bluestone, 

As a previous owner of a pair of 3.5s, they do best with a lot of power.  I ended up using a Bryston 4B series amp. 

They're infinite baffle speakers, so for best sound, they need the watts plus the equalizer. 

Just a thought

@jafant To be honest I'm not sure what cables they were using, it didn't look like anything most people would recognize.  It was all digital with an Aurender streamer and I believe the DAC was Esoteric.
I used to have 3.5s and drove them with a Classe CA-200 amplifier that is 200@8 and 400@4. I don’t think it was enough power. Keep your eye on the EQ box. Mine would periodically go out of whack and put the amp into protection mode. Each time it got temperamental, it had to go back for adjustments. I think I had to send it back three or four times. Then I had a mid driver go, so both of them went back for a rebuild. The drivers are not an off-the-shelf part and they’re no longer available, and with Thiel gone now, I’m not sure if they’re rebuildable anymore. I’m just sharing my experience and not trying to scare you at all. You may have good luck with yours.

Due to all the issues and with Thiel (the company) going to crap, I decided that the only option was to send them on their way. It was the best move I ever made as I have at least four times (maybe more) better sound now with all the same electronics. My new used speakers were about 4 times the cost of the used 3.5s, though, but they were still relatively inexpensive and totally worth freeing myself of the 3.5s.