Thinking of upgrading from pass labs x250

I use my my X250 to power my infinity RS4.5s but having to move it to my main room to power Dunlavy SCIVAs.  I was using two citations IIs on them but the tubes just sound flat.  I know the pass labs will get the job done and was thinking of upgrading the pass labs during the transition.  Sure would like to get a X250.8 but a huge price difference.  For your info I use a Dude tube preamp on the front end.  I'm one of the guys that like mixing tubes on front.  Just a preference I guess.  I know the X250 is worth around $1500, maybe a little more.  So if I throw another $2000 into an upgrade what will $3500 get you used that hands down will put the X250 to shame?  I can't find anything.  I'm a guy that likes great mid-range, and detail.  So, I'm not a krell guy...  Just interested to see what others think.  By the way read about the X250.5 and many people say it is not a huge step up from the X250.....
robmag

Showing 1 response by m-db

I'll never forget hearing those Dunlavey's at a dealer on Collage Ave. in Berkeley Ca.. The dealer was driving them with Sonic Frontiers pre and mono's, very nice.
Then he cabled up the Mark Levinson pre and the then unusual looking 333 amp. Boy did those jokers wake up while their presentation remained elegant! 

Pass is nice. For a more economical underrated high current alternative I'd suggest giving these folks a call.

http://www.coda.cc/product/