Thoughts on VTA......

I have read countless posts where members are spending hours on exacting setup of their VTA with varying levels of tools.

Then there is another camp who set by ear.

My thoughts/questions on this subject arise from vinyl thickness difference.

Surely going from a flimsy flier early 70,s vinyl to a later 180 or even 200gm issue is going to change that painstakingly set VTA considerably.

So thoughts rattling round is why go to all that trouble when it IS going to change depending on the vinyl played?

To my mind it would appear that one of the arms that includes on the fly VTA adjustment would be the answer.

Your opinions or suggestions?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Two things you can't cheat with vinyl play.

1) Physics and 2) the Record Pressing Plants.

PHYSICS (the obvious one)

Raise VTA ....you lower VTF and alter other set up parameters.
Lower VTA....you raise VTF and alter other setup parameters.

RECORD PROCESSING PLANTS. (not so obvious)

There were / are no standards for the vertical angles the records are cut at (the included angle).
American plants angles are different from European plants.
Each time the cutting stylus is replaced (every 10 hours?) the new one goes in a little different than before. 8^0

What to do ?

If with one average setting your vinyl rig does not allow you to hear these differences, or it does not bother you too much.... consider yourself BLESSED ...enjoy your records.

If however you hear differences even with same thickness records (different included angles) ....and...maybe..... suffer from a little Audiophilia Nervosa...... there are at least four things you can do from my personal experiences over the years. 

1) make the necessary adjustments after VTA changes.

2) acquire a preamp with adjustable on the fly "Gain". Lower gain for bright records and vice versa.

3) acquire an amp that allows for on the fly gain changes.

4) acquire a tonearm that was designed with VTA changes in mind and allows you to make these VTA changes, with ease, and not affect any other setup prarameters. FWIW - One tonearm only - exists - that I am aware of that has this capability. ET 2.0, and ET 2.5. They are protected by patent.

If there is another tonearm let me know.  

Cheers

Enjoy your records.