Tight bass sub recommendations

What are the recommendations for a high quality subwoofer set- up. I have Maggie’s 1.7I speakers which I love but I think could use a little sub energy. Most of what I have tested seems a little boomy. I know there are 2 schools of thought 1 sub or 2 subs. I’m just looking for a deep Tight bass. Thoughts???
schmitty1

Showing 1 response by gkr7007

I went through this same scenario a couple years ago trying to find a sub to match up to the 1.7's.  Tried and returned a half dozen recommended subs (most mentioned here).  They all muddied the tone as the resonance of the sub would just last longer than the very fast and accurate Maggie's.  I happened to talk with an old timer at a local stereo shop and he mentioned that I should try a sealed, 8 or 10 inch sub.  He suggested a Martin Logan 700w as it was made to match up with their electro stats which are also very fast.  Hooked if up and "bang" I knew immediately that it was the right choice.  Great accuracy and speed with no laughing resonant tone.  The best thing about it is that I had tried subs in the 2 grand range with no luck.  The 700w?  $599.