Unimpressive sound from Tannoy B475 subwoofer?

I impulse bought two tannoy b475 18" pro subwoofers over the weekend for what seemed like a good price.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to manage to get decent sound out of them. Did I just make a mistake and buy subs that don't perform well, or is there possibly a problem with my setup?

They want 400w-800w. I've tried a crown 800 (bridged) and a jbl synthesis 400 (bridged) and neither made them sound all that hot. The sub signal is coming from a pioneer elite, which isn't the best setup, but seems to drive my mb quart vera sub fairly nicely. The tannoy sounds much worse.

One possible issue: the crown needs a + and - for input, but the sub output is RCA, so I cut the end off a RCA cable and got the +/- from that. Perhaps bad idea?
dddrrreee

Showing 2 responses by sthomas12321

A pro subs going to need a EQ system. Specially in a home. If you dont have one get one or you will never hear anything under 45HZ. Designed for ouput max volume.

Velodyne SMS1 would work.

Check your connections & loose any homade looking stray wire cables. Solder on connectors needed
08-07-11: Rwwear
Pro subs are designed for high output but not necessarily low bass. Your sub will go down to around 28hz but you may not get that in your room. The SMS-1 will come with a setup mic to tune the sub to your room. It will have video out to see the results and allow you to adjust for your room and give you the ability to have 5 different settings plus have remote control for the volume and different modes. Velodyne's DDS series has this built in

Above post was right on the money of what I was emplying with the sms-1 or any other eq. The nice thing about the sms-1 type is you get a nice grapch on your screen and some auto eq to get you started. You need to get that sub playing lower even if it costs you some max output at the 50hz and up freq responses. Home theater subs need to hit around 25hz to really get you excited about the .1 channel.