Upgrade from Pass Labs XA30.8 to X250.8. Worth it?

I am getting ready to make some upgrades to the system. I currently running a DAC into a BAT51SE, then a Pass Labs XA30.8, then finally into Decware DM947 speakers (don't worry if you've never heard of them; not the last word in speakers, but have been doing a solid job for about 5 years now.)

I am contemplating moving up the Pass Labs amplifier line, and the X250.8 looks attractive. I would like to hear more bass authority and definition, but I don't really want to sacrifice the mids and highs of the 30.8. 

I would love to hear some of your impressions of the X250.8, especially if you are able to make some direct comparisons to the XA30.8. I've spoken with both Mark at Reno Hifi, and Kent English of Pass Labs; both are wonderful and informative people. What I am interested in now is the opinions and experiences of end users of either of these amps. 

Thanks! 
Ag insider logo xs@2xwillrich47

Showing 2 responses by bdp24

Will, one thing you could try is a sub that provides high-level hookup from a power amp, rather than line-level from a pre. Two that do are REL and Rythmik. I don't know about REL, but Rythmik provides for both high (on binding posts) and low (on RCA jacks) inputs on their A370 and H600 plate amps, the non-XLR versions. On the XLR versions, low (line-level) only.

If you value your SVS sub more than your BAK pre-amp, look for a pre that can drive a lower input impedance. EAR-Yoshino pre’s (tubed) are designed to drive a 600 ohm load (its designer, Tim de Paravicini, does work for clients in the pro recording field, in which 600 ohms is the standard). The EAR 868 includes two balanced/XLR pairs of outputs, and two unbalanced pairs on RCA’s, and has no trouble driving multiple low impedance inputs. Available in both line level-only (868L) and line level-plus phono (868PL) versions.

If you would prefer to keep the BAK pre, and want to keep your hookup at line level, another option is to look for a sub with a plate amp having a higher input impedance than that of the SVS. 22kHz is rather low.