Upgrade Opinions, Thorens vs VPI

I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a better turntable.

My current setup is a Thorens TD166 MKII with the original tp11 tonearm. The table has a few mods including a solid cherry plinth and birch bottom with sorbothane feet. It also came with the 10mm spindle bearing, same one used on the TD160.

Amp: Rogue audio Sphinx 
Preamp: MM preamp built into the Sphinx
Cartidge: Shure M97xe with SAS stylus
Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 8

The components listed above are my recent upgrades. I now think my table is due for an upgrade. 

I am considering installing a Jelco SA750D tonearm on my Thorens, since the tonearm is likely the weakest performing part of the table, or going with a completely new table.

I am considering the following tables:

Rega Planar 3 (possibly not a big leap?)

Rega RP8

VPI Classic 1 

Acoustic Signature Wow XL with Rega arm.

I am leaning toward the VPI, partly because I really like its look, but I do want the best sounding table under $3000 (subjective I know). Overall, I'm pleased with the current sound from my Thorens, so maybe the best bang for my buck would be a new tonearm. Some members have claimed that a Debut Carbon will blow the doors of a TD166, but in my personal experience, it's the opposite. So I'm thinking I'd probably need to spend over 1K for a real sonic upgrade over my Thorens.

Anyone have experience with VPI tables versus Thorens TD16X series? Any advice is welcome.
helomech
The outboard power supply label shows 48V DC to the motor. 

I got the Classic all set up a couple days ago and have been less than thrilled with its performance. I realize that equipment needs time to break in, but the motor was very loud and I could hear it from across the room. The platter was making a 1/rev scraping sound that I was able to hear through my speakers, even at only 40-50 db. Also, the table ran quite slow when checked with a strobe disc. It seemed to smear the sound quite a bit. I let the table spin for a couple hours, checked the speed again and it was still drifting, regardless of belt: groove position.

I triple checked all setup parameters, nothing was wrong with the setup.

I really wanted to love the Classic but unfortunately it's not for me. Maybe I just received a lemon, but in my experience, exchanging products for one of the same or similar, rarely leads to full resolution.   

For those who were wondering. My old Thorens with M97xe cart trounced the Classic with the SS Carmen cart. Of course, that was judging the Classic without much break-in time. My guess is the Classic would have been competitive once the cartridge broke-in, and speed issue was resolved, but for me, not worth the cost difference. 
Helomech-

Very unfortunate you have problem table. The scraping suggests maybe something on the plinth, hitting underneath the platter? Personally, I don't buy into the break-in thing.If setup/cart selection is good, I either like it or not, and I won't "wait" for something to sound good. As time passes, good sound may develop subtle improvement, but it's there from the start. Surprising you chose "trounced" when comparing tables. I would think simply a different presentation. Trounced suggests comparing a $300 entry level table to a 5K setup.

You did try all 3 pulley steps when checking speed? As previously mentioned, without a controller the speed will only be near 33.3. You are already aware this model needs a mod to use one. Regardless, the Classic should sound good as every review says it is stock.

Give it another chance and return it for another one. Insist AA issue a return label.

Tablejockey,

The table allegedly has a "built-in" SDS.

I tried all 3 pulley grooves and they produced similar results. 

Maybe "trounced" isn't the best description, but my Thorens did sound significantly better. I'm not trying to bash VPI, I'm just being honest with my opinion. 

I've read elsewhere that the motors in the new Classics aren't up to par with the older versions. Maybe true, and I considered requesting a retrofit, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. Every dealer I contacted doesn't have any older Classics in stock either. I'll be returning the table and looking for other options. 
Wow! Something is really wrong. I hope you get it sorted out. However, if you send it back and stay with the Thorens, you will be very impressed with what a new tone arm will do to your table.

if you can try to get a Michell Technoarm or Audiomods. I've used both and they wring the best out of an already very good arm.

Sorry about your current disappointment.

Stewart07.....The VPI mod will be available for the 3D arm with the use of an attachment to the arm, so you can just send away for it to modify your own.  To be truthful, I have a 3D and couldn't care less about the wiggle when not in the groove....its extremely stable while tracking.  If as you say there is no sonic improvement, I'll pass.