upgrade Vandersteen speakers

I have ARC LS17, pair of D240MKII vertically bi-amped ,ARC Litz linc II
speaker/interconnects connected to Vandersteen 2C's and would like
to upgrade . Any suggestions?
gofishdw

Showing 3 responses by zd542

I say get a newer pair of Vandersteen's. I'll admit I'm biased because they are my favorite speaker. But I really don't feel that you can do better. As far as Rrog's comment about being bright, I disagree. Vandersteen's are very transparent. More likely than not, the brightness is due to something in the system and not the speakers.
Lostbears quote,

"I would see if you could borrow a newer amp from your ARC dealer. ARC solid state amps have come a long way since the early 90's and the D240 mkII. I think that would make the most significant change."

I don't know if I would go that far. Have you ever listened to those amps? You might be right, but if the D240 is part of the same line that the D300 & D400's were, I wouldn't be so fast to get rid of them. I've always felt that the 300 & 400's were very underrated. I almost bought a 400 but went with a VT100 instead but I know I would have been happy either way.

Overall, I do think you are correct in that SS has come a long way. I'm just suggesting that even though the amp is old, the sound quality may still be very good.
"((*IME, Richard Vandersteen has always seemed to be a straight shooter))
Still is...
(((but saying; things I currently sell are better than things I no longer sell, and things I currently sell for more are better than what I currently sell for less, is cause for pause.;))"

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I don't see why that statement seems odd or would give any type of pause. "things I currently sell are better than things I no longer sell" -- I would hope so. What else can he say? My old models sound better than my new ones?

"things I currently sell for more are better than what I currently sell for less, is cause for pause" Once again, I would hope so. You pay more money, you get a better speaker. I would think it odd if he said that a current model 1 was better than a current model 3.