Upgrading from NAD 521bee--need soundstage

I have a modest system in a small room and am upgrading my cd player. I am looking for improving soundstaging and for a more precise placement of instruments therein. I have a NAD 352 integrated amp driving Tetra 120u monitors (simple and fantastic!). Bedrock cables and lead-shot weighted Sanus stands. Hero interconnects.

I am thinking a used Arcam fmj23 or fmj33, but as I get up to $800-$1000 I start wondering about the new Rega Apollo or the new Marantz 8001.

Thx in advance.
tomaswv

Showing 3 responses by reubent

Tomas,

I've owned lots of CD players priced between about $800 and $4000. I'm currently using a Level 2 modified Oppo 970 DVD player from EVS. The EVS level 2 Oppo 970 is the most resolving digital player I've ever owned. If it's on the recording, you are going to hear it from this player. It is very, very good and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to maximize detail and resolution at a reasonable price.

It also has the benefit of being a universal player, playing CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD and has an HDCD decoder. So, not only is it a great universal music player, but it is fantastic for watching concert DVDs. Oh, and it has a built-in remote volume control so you can connect it directly to a power amp if you choose.

The only potential downside is the fact that it has the build quality of a typical consumer level DVD player and it has no warranty from the manufacturer because it has benn modified. But Ric Shultz is a stand up kind of guy and I'm pretty confident he would work to resolve any warranty issues that may come up.

Lastly, this Oppo player has more dynamics, better bass drive and bass resolution than any other player I've ever had in my system. It's a really fantastic player and cost between $500 and $950 depending on the level of modification. Oh, and Ric Shultz will give you your money back if you send him a brand new player for modification and you don't like the results.

Enjoy,

TIC
Plato,

Which Oppo model do you own?

I agree that the build quality is not up to the standard of most dedicated CD players, however I do not agree that it is "awful" or "cheesy". It is built to a pricepoint and even in it's stock form, it is very competent in that pricerange. BTW, the drawer is purposely built that way so it can bend/flex if pressure is applied to it. Also the buttons do require a firm press to enagage. A casual tap will not engage the switch.

I've not heard a stock Oppo in my system, but I can tell you that the EVS level 2 mod'd unit is an EXTREMELY competent CD player that also has great DVD, DVD-A, SACD playback. It is at least equal, if not better, sonically than all of the other players I've owned, including a couple of $3500-$4000 list price players.

So, a new level 2 mod'd Oppo 970 cost $939 ($790 for the mod, $149 for the stock player). Wosrt case, you could lose $939 in a couple of years if it dies and you choose not to repair it.

The last 2 dedicated CD players I bought were a $4000 list price player for $895 used ($3105 lost from new retail price) and a $3500 list price player for $2000 used ($1500 lost from retail price in one year). Considering the mod'd Oppo 970 sounds as good or better, which is the smarter deal financially? So, even if the Oppo dies a premature death relative to these expensive dedicated CD players, it was still ultimately cheaper to own. Oh, and it plays CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, etc., which those other players couldn't do.

"I call that a bargain, the best I ever had......"

Enjoy,

TIC
Plato,

I absolutely understand your reservations about spending so much for any mod'd unit. It is a value decision every perspective buyer will need to make.

For me it was a gamble I don't usually accept. I'm frugal to a fault and typically wouldn't buy an unknown quantity like this particular player. But I saw one here on A-goN for a decent price and jumped on it. I couldn't be happier with the sonics (yes, 1/4" aluminum panels would have been preferred).

Enjoy,

TIC