Upgrading from Onkyo 875 to separates-worth it?

Thinking of upgrading my one year old 875 to a used Integra 9.8 processor and a multichannel amp. Also considering using the 875 as the processor and going with a multichannel amp. Any experience from anyone going with either of those routes? The 9.8s are dropping below $1k used which looks attractive. Would like to hear from anyone going from an 875 to any other processor as well.
Ag insider logo xs@2xkira

Showing 1 response by ckorody

I have the 9.8 and it is an excellent piece of gear. Just make sure that the one you buy has been updated with the latest software or be prepared to do it yourself.

Since I was starting from scratch I built the entire system HDMI which is terrific.

Since I have a 5.1 set up I have the 9.8 set up for bi-amping. I also like the flexibility of being able to upgrade the amps without changing the preamp - or vice versa.

I started with a 7 channel amp, then got a great deal and moved to a five channel amp which I use across the front (2+1+2), and a separate pair of monoblocks for the rears.

While I was researching this, a number of dealers recommended that I get a lesser receiver and use the preamp out to a separate power amp. So long as your 875 meets your needs (inputs, decoding formates etc) you could start that way and upgrade the processor/pre later.