Vandersteen 3A (no signature) vs ADS 1230

Hello,
Has anyone experience of auditioning ADS L1230 Vandersteen 3a? is the upgrade from the 1230 to the 3a worth?

Thank you for your opinions

marcomarmo
long ago....in a galaxy far away....I managed a store that carried and sold both ADS and Vandersteen....and lots of other fun stuff....
not exactly an apples and salmon comparison....but they are very different..
and good

music ?
how loud?
room size and placement options?
amp you are running...

At the turn of the century, I was using Vandersteen 3A speakers  They were quite a big upgrade from the Vandersteen 2CE I was using.  It is the same sound of the 2CE, but more of it especially in the bass.  I am not sure where they would fit in their line today now that the Treo is out.  Heard ADS speakers back in the 90's and they were pretty good but the Vandersteen are better IMHO.  If I remember correctly, the ADS couldn't take the power the Vandersteen speakers could.  Never heard the 1230 but it has the same house sound.
 @stereo5 still a current model in the 3a-signature with tweeter and midrange from the vaunted 5a. the Treo is more refined, especially the CT but the 3 plays considerably lower without a port but with an active rear facing acoustic coupler.

a couple of interesting 3a systems I have had a hand in lately...

SOTA sapphire , Gelco, Ortofon Black, ARC SP-15, Threshold 100, Audioquest biwire

Rega 3, Dynavector 10x2, ARC PH-5, ARC REF 5, MR RM-10, mix of anticable and siltech in a biwire....

fun....
The sound signature of "original" ADS, Peter Snell's speakers (while he was alive) and RV's speakers was very similar and I owned all of them. That was my progression ADS L-810 to Snell Type A to Vandersteen 3A Sig.
A good friend had the Snell Type A speakers in 1977.  I remember bringing them up to Newburyport in Mass for an upgrade.  On the way back, we stopped at Hilltop Steak House (sadly gone) for lunch.  We met Peter Snell. He left us way too early in life.