Velodyne Digital Drive Series subwoofer in stereo

Hi, I've been very interested in running two subwoofers in stereo (diff. signals to each subwoofer); I've heard many people swear by this setup.

My next room for my system will be 14' x 14' x 18' high ceiling loft living room. My question is, will two DD10 be enough to fill the room with organ music and scare me out of my seat for movie tracks? Should I move up to two DD12s? Money is not really an issue, but I'd like to save wherever I can.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
spacekadet
I listen to a lot of electronica and there is def info at or below 80 hz in stereo,even panned from left to right,,so i can see where running 2 subs in stereo would be a good thing,,one day i would love to try it!using just one sub drove me crazy!I decided not to use a sub again untill i can do it in stereo! Just my opinion of course.
Truthseeker. Did you read this AA thread? There is only one other misguided person that agrees with you compared to the hundreds of others whom are actually correct about the 2 sub deal. I suggest you quietly walk away from this one.
If any of you folks could produce some type of coherent argument or refutation of the widely accepted acoustic theory (OTHER than your weak anecdotal evidence), I'd have more respect for you. None of you is particularly versed in crossover filter theory. None of you can hold a beginner's discussion regarding bass management theory. None of you can even admit that whoever convinced you to buy an extra sub for the purpose of achieving stereo bass separation RIPPED YOU OFF!

IF YOU CAN'T LOCALIZE LOW BASS (<80hz), YOU CAN'T HEAR STEREO...PERIOD!

Those of you who think they can, own cheap subs that produce significant harmonic distortion. This is DIFFERENT than the HARMONICS instruments naturally produce. An INSTRUMENT playing a 70hz note will also emit a first harmonic of 140hz. That 140hz tone will give directional clues as to its direction. A sub reproducing this 70hz tone will ALSO produce the harmonic....but at the outer band of its crossover curve..ie..24db's down from the original signal. The harmonics from your mains will COMPLETELY mask that of the subwoofer if your subwoofer is decent and has low distortion. THUS, if you use a decent, low distortion sub, with a 24 db/octave xover, the sub will play the 70hz tone, and the mains will provide the directional cues in stereo.

You can't deep bass in stereo no matter HOW much you THINK you can. The stereo effects are produced in your mains. Cross the sub over at no more than 80hz, use a higher order xover, and save the money you would have spent on an extra sub for CD's and DVD's. OR...give it to the dealer who convinced you to buy the extra sub...heh heh.

"You think, therefore you hear".

experiment: If you have a LOW distortion sub (like a Velo HGS or DD model) and have it crossed over at 80hz or lower, disconnect the mains. Then, close your eyes and have a friend move the sub around. See if you can point to the sub with your eyes closed. You won't be able to.

Raul,

I think you have your xover notion a little mixed up. The THX standard (they don't know anything about sound now, do they?!) xover is a second order HIGH PASS of 12db per octave at 80hz for the mains or satellites and a complimentary LOW PASS Linkwitz-Reilly (24db/octave) crossover of 80hz for the sub. This means that an 80hz tone will be down 12db's at 40hz in your satellites, and down 24db's at 160hz in your sub. That is why it is suggested that satellites or mains be capable of decent output one octave below the xover frequency.
And the reason you can locate the bass drum in a concert hall is because of the harmonics of its transients and the fundamental tone...which will be played in its full stereo glory BY YOUR MAINS. If that same bass drum could ONLY play it's fundamental tone (no harmonic), you WOULD NOT be able to locate it.

Go play now, children.

OR do some real research.