VPI Classic hum

Got mine a few weeks ago. Installed it with a high-output Benz Ace H cartridge. Loved the sound but there was a hum when I turned the preamp volume past the 10 o'clock position. Later changed to a Clearaudio Concerto, the hum was quieter, but wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.

Then I read the manual closely, and it said something about using shielded interconnects. So I tried a pair of Rega Couple wires, which are made from Klotz cable, and are shielded.

And you know what, the hum just vanished! Now I'm at peace ...

Just to share with those have hum issues with the Classic. Do share your solutions.
bassraptor
Bifwynne,

I emailed Mike from VPI and he responded back saying that the problem should be resolved by proper grounding and using shielded interconnects. I have a ground wire running from the table to phono stage and using JPS Labs ultraconductor interconnects that the dealer confirmed they are very well shielded.
Thanks for reply
After several tests that Mike asked me to do with VPI, he diagnosed the problem. Either the cartridge is picking up electro-magnetic field from the motor or some mechanical vibrations. I've shipped the VPI base unit to him for repair.
Vinyl Lover31,

I am also getting a hum from my VPI Classic 1. When I touched the Interconnect at the junction box on the TT I get the hum, and also touching the interconnect at the phono stage I get the hum. I ground the TT to the phono stage and also to the preamp and I still get the hum no matter what combination of ground I use. My interconnect is from Audio Art Cables, and I confirmed with him that the interconnect is shielded. I also tried several different interconnect and I still get the hum. In taking it a bit further, I tried two other phono stages in the system and I still get the hum when playing a record or not playing a record. As a last resort I wrapped a piece of aluminum foil aroung the interconnect and the ground terminal on the TT junction box and the hum was reduced significantly. I have to turn up the preamp about 70% to hear the hum. I do not think this is the best way to solve this issue, so I am still up the creek. I will give VPI a call. Anyone tried the VIP phono cable yet or any other phono cable?
Vinyl..lover, how did you make out with the TT. VPI finish yet? You must be frustrated as heck.

As I said above, I use the SS VPI Zephyr (MI) and DV 20X2 H (MC). Both are well shielded and both sound well, although I think the Zephyr is better. Macdadtexas and I drive the same front-end and share similar views about the Zephyr's performance. I am very pleased now because I stopped fussing with the carty set up, resonance and hum issues.

I hope Mike can pin-point the issue for you AND resolve it. Let's face it, from the tip of the stylus up to the input of your phono stage. how much is there to "drey" over. Ask Mike what "drey" means.