VPI Classic hum

Got mine a few weeks ago. Installed it with a high-output Benz Ace H cartridge. Loved the sound but there was a hum when I turned the preamp volume past the 10 o'clock position. Later changed to a Clearaudio Concerto, the hum was quieter, but wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.

Then I read the manual closely, and it said something about using shielded interconnects. So I tried a pair of Rega Couple wires, which are made from Klotz cable, and are shielded.

And you know what, the hum just vanished! Now I'm at peace ...

Just to share with those have hum issues with the Classic. Do share your solutions.
bassraptor
I own VPI classic, the first release from 2010.

Initially the Grado cartridge was installed but it gave a lot of hum
even when the styles did not touch the record surface.
Then the dealer suggested to replace Crado for Benz Micro MC low
output. I chose Benz Micro Wood SL cartridge which was installed and I
use it now.
I still have an issue with the hum. But this time the hum is only when
I place the styles on the record surface and the platter is moving.
When the platter
is not moving and the styles touches the record surface there is no
hum at all. Looks like the cartridge picks up the noise from the
motor.
The hum is quite noticeable during the quite passages, the starting
and ending grooves, the grooves in between the pieces.
Vinyl ..lover, both the DV and Zepher are shielded and I haven't noticed hum from either carty. I would circle back to your dealer. He should know what to do. But if you get stuck, try a Dynavector or SS VPI Zephyr.

Good luck.
Bifwynne,

I emailed Mike from VPI and he responded back saying that the problem should be resolved by proper grounding and using shielded interconnects. I have a ground wire running from the table to phono stage and using JPS Labs ultraconductor interconnects that the dealer confirmed they are very well shielded.
Thanks for reply
After several tests that Mike asked me to do with VPI, he diagnosed the problem. Either the cartridge is picking up electro-magnetic field from the motor or some mechanical vibrations. I've shipped the VPI base unit to him for repair.