VPI Scout vs. Thorens 165

Why is a new (or used) VPI Scout a better analog source than a vintage Thorens 165 or 166? Or, is it?
tvad

Showing 4 responses by jaybo

there are two cultures of turntable owners....the thorens 165 and 166 are both classic tables and fall into the first camp. most thorens owners just enjoy music and use their tables for years. the vpi boyscout turntables turn over like flapjacks at fall camp and are in the second camp. no one ever stops upgrading until they eventually (lots of money later)bail to another brand. the vpi may be the more superior product, but when you get to 'satisfaction' and 'pride of ownership' issues, the thorens is the winner.
i would agree that the linn lp12 would be a great table. also the well-tempered classic. the oracle alexandria and delphi are nice too. i haven't had any problems with my thorens(knock on rosewood)
i bought a scout when they first became available, and although it may have been a bit more detailed(maybe forward) in the midrange than my thorens 147 jubilee and my oracle paris, it just didn't have the 'weight'and overall balance on classical and rock that the others had. i had the same experience years ago with an hw19mklv........yes i tried various cartridges (primarily sure and grado), but i was never satisfied. there was just something missing. i hate constant upgrading, so i sold it. i have used the phono section in both a p300 accuphase and a c22 II mcintosh with all the above. i have also owned mapleknoll, sota,dual,ar,denon..... and spent a week with a rega 25 which was a disaster in my system.
the scout is certainly a good table, but i swear, just the upgrading frenzy on these tables seems to be a full time hobby. check the various threads