wadia i170 meassured jitter level

does anyone know what the measured jitter level is on the wadia i170? I would like to know, i think the sony ps1 has less jitter and its at a high 737ps.
usarmyvet91

Showing 3 responses by hens

Can't swear to this but I recall one reviewer stating the jitter was over 3,000ps which seems extroadinarily high. Based on the differences I heard when the Wadia was plugged directly into a non-reclocking DAC as opposed to having a reclocking DIP in between Wadia and DAC, I can believe the jitter is very high. Not a problem if you have a DAC which de-jitters/reclocks the signal.
I think the facts are that the 170i has high jitter as this has been objectively measured. The extent to which this is audible, in my experience, depends on the DAC and its jitter reduction processes. My experience is the same as Brian's - I could not pick the difference between transports when using a common DAC, but only after a DIP jitter reduction device was added to both devices. Without the DIP, using the same non-reclocking DAC, the CD player had better resolution. So Brian, if your DAC does reclock the signal and reduce jitter, this may be the key reason you didn't hear a difference.

Having said that, I agree that Wadia could come out with a higher-end version - perhaps with improved power supply, improved clock and a better digital RCA plug (with a sturdy digital cable, the rca plug on the Wadia moves about disconcertingly).
Where are these measurements? I am not saying the statement isn't true, I just have never read anything published. Your DIP experiment does raise legit questions.
I located where I had read this and it was from Gordon Rankin on Audio Asylum who measured the jitter. Atkinson also stated in the Stereophile review that the jitter was high but didn't specify a figure.

The sound I now get also matches my "reference" sound and that's more than I expected!