Wattgate 381 outlet:any comments from the owners?

Hello
I am thinking of getting this outlet for my system.How big should i expect improvements if i am going up from PS Audio power port?Thanks a lot for your comments.
overhang

Showing 2 responses by bombaywalla

well, I had the PS Audio Juice bar which had the PS Audio power ports in them. 6 of them to be precise i.e. 3 duplexes. I can tell you that they sound like total & utter sh**!
In my system, the PS Audio power ports made the sound very brittle & very forward. When I increased the volume, the sound-stage which was level with the speaker plane, moved forward! It was so in-my-face that it created listening fatigue in less than 1 hour. I got rid of these Power Ports in a hurry. However, I discovered this only 2 years after I bought the Juice Bar. In that time, I can say that I have grown as an audiophile, I've been exposed to more systems & I've learnt what to listen for. Also, 2 years after I bought the Juice Bar, I had a complete system capable of showing me the flaws up & down-stream.

I peg this horrid sound of the PS Audio Power Ports to the heavy nickel-plating used in them. It makes the sound very, very bright. What I found to be immensely better were all-brass outlets.

I do NOT think that you need to spend so much money on Wattgate 381 ports to reap the benefits of all all-brass outlet. Buying $7-$10/duplex outlet Hubbel 5262 (15A) or 5362(20A) outlets from an electrical surplus store should get you on the right track. You can get these cryo'd after-market from a number of places. Cryo'd is better but not necessary, IMHO. In this respect, Jadem6 provided you w/ the best even-keeled advice & 2nd that.

I, too, have listened to the Wattgatte 381 outlets that a friend has. It surpassed the Hubble 5362 that he had. The Wattgates are more dynamic. This comes from a person who used to be TOTALLY unconvinced that outlets could make ANY difference at all. I laughed (very loudly in my friend's face) when I was told that they did. It's probably what got me an audition of them at his place. I had to eat my words. When it comes to spending money on audio, I've Loontoon's attitude. However, I heard the diff clearly & I spent a *reasonable* amount of money on outlets. I recommend the same for you.

You can check my system to see which outlets I use. They are very good indeed.
Hi Jadem6,
Wow! thank you very much for the special welcome & also the positive feedback of my reviews. It's much appreciated.
Looks like your experience w/ other PS Audio gear might have saved me many $ + frustration! Good to read that you concur w/ my assessment of their PowerPorts.
Best Regards.