What do you mean you “heard” the turntable

I don’t get it. Maybe I just don’t have the biological tool set, but I read all the time how someone heard this turntable or that turntable and they comment on how much better or worse it sounded than some other TT, presumably their own or one they are very familiar with. 

Thing is, they are most likely hearing this set up on a completely different system in a completely different environment. So how can they claim it was the TT that made the difference?  The way “synergy“ is espoused around here how can anybody be confident at all considering how interdependent system interactions are. 

Can someone illuminate me?
last_lemming

Showing 2 responses by oldschool1948

I have a new Technics SL-1200G and vintage SL-MK1600 MK2.  With all things being equal except the tables, trust me, I can mostly certainly hear the difference.
@chakster Do you think the old Technics tonearm + old wiring and new Technics SL-1200G tonearm + new wiring are equal ?
The fit and finish of the 1200G is far superior to the 1600 and older 1200. The 1200G is also much heavier and solidly built.

Unlike the old 1200, the 1600 was not a DJ table. I purchased my 1600 in 1985 while stationed in Germany for $249. It’s still going strong in my rec room system. The 1200G is in my music listening room. The 1200G’s SQ is in a completely different class.

I think the platter on the new Technics is much better damped, the DD motor is coreless compared to the old inferior motor, footers and the whole plinth are completely different etc
Agreed. I’m quite happy with the 1200G. So far I’ve added a "better" power cord and a Funk Firm Achromat 1200 mat. I just ordered the KAB tonearm damping system. Not sure if I’ll want anything more.