What does 'Fast mean?

This might sound ignorant but can someone describe to me what is meant when cables or equipment for that matter is said to be 'fast'?
hayds1
I take "fast" to mean how quick the output of a device can follow a change at the input - which would pretty much describe the above impressions of transients, attack, etc. As for cables, well... they either do the job or they don't. Poorly designed cables will result in modifiers such as "bright" or "bloated" while the good ones are hardly distinguishable unless you really move up the food chain in equipment. All this IMHO, as I have not heard all or every possible combination of gear.
Fast usually means the sound is thin and without body/weight making it seem faster! That is what I have found when auditioning "fast" gear.

Bill
Like my amp, my typing skills are fast but unlike my amp, I am not accurate. Rwwear, I agree more is better than less. Bbaxely2, it is understandable your girlfriend would prefer a slower hand, good sense of humor!

In all seriousness an amp with several small caps can recharge themselves more quickly than say only two or four much larger caps. Like the McCormack amps using several small caps with each one located close to each individual output device equals a fast amp. This can be heard but difficult to descibe. Cannot speak for cabling and its contribution to this phenominum, I never changed cable to prove this theory only to improve & get the desired sound quality.
Glidewriter, is right when he says, "Truly fast gear will track complex waveforms precisely, neither lagging behind rising edges or overshooting trailing edges."

As an example, Class D amps are fast. They don't waste nearly as much energy during their switching chores, so can more adroitly cover complex passages. If you have a fast transducer, you are in for a treat.