Where can one purchase lead shot for speakers?

Hi,

I'm putting together a new system and just purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR4jrs. They will arrive in about a week so I am trying to prepare everything for their arrival. This is the first pair of speakers that I will own that take lead shot to improve their bass. I have no idea where to even start looking for a place to purchase the shot. Can anybody tell me where I might find some? I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and I'm really hoping to be able to buy it locally as opposed to having it shipped in since it would be very costly to do so.

Thanks,

Bill
thebclshow
Joe, Steel shot will rattle. Pennies will shake like all hell. The idea of lead is because it is heavy and soft. The best alternative is gold pellets if you want to use money...softer than pennies and won't rattle.
I agree with nice black volcanic sand on Hawaii.
A bit off topic- Nordost packaging usually states "LEAD FREE - Save our environment".
Don't use steel shot as it will resonate. I use a 50/50 mixture of dried sand and lead shot ( #6 is good). Use as course of sand as you can find. Sand used for concrete is good. Masonry sand is too fine.
A few days before you want to fill your stands start drying your sand. The simplest and least messy way to dry sand is to spread it on a piece of plywood or other flat surface. Do it in your garage if you have one. Spread out the sand and rake through with your fingers, creating a lot of furrows and ridges (more surface area). Do this raking as often as you can to hasten the drying. I use a fan also. You want the sand bone-dry. (Beware of silicosis).
Other things you'll need:
plastic funnel
a 1-cup measuring cup
coffee can or similar container to mix the sand and shot
latex gloves- rubber gloves are too bulky
a simple cloth dust mask
My Dynaudio stands came with long plastic bags to be used as liners for the columns. I think any manufacturer of stands should include these, but many don't.
Scrape the sand into a pile. Mix 1 cup sand and 1 cup shot in the coffee can or container. Don't mix batches larger than 4 cups as the shot will separate from the sand. Start pouring the mix via the funnel into your stands. I fill completely to the top. Cap off and wipe down. Discard everything correctly.

For you people that don't think lead can't be handled safely: Do not go to service stations or battery stores as there are battery carcasses containing lead plates laying around everywhere; In fact, do not own a car as you are perpetuating the use of lead-acid starting batteries; Do not go to boatyards as 95% of all those sailboats there use, God forbid, lead keels. My boat has a 7000 lb. hunk of lead hanging under it (Damn I'm feeling guilty); Do not live in a house built prior to the mid '70's' as it probably contains lead-based paint and lead solder in the plumbing.
Carry your stands and your guilty conscience into the house, set those speakers on top and start rockin' (but your stands won't).
The 50/50 mix is based on my experimentation over the years. All lead was too dead. All sand wasn't enough mass. Steel rings. Empty stands blur the mids and bass (probably Doppler effect from the speakers moving fore and aft).
And for a nice little touch, throw some Herbie's Fat Dots between your speakers and stands. Now crank up the music and let that guilty conscience melt away.
I agree with much of Hoff48 says. I enjoy low volume listening and my trials indicate that all dry sand is too colored. All steel (blasting shot) was quite interesting and lively, but also very colored. Lead shot sucks the life and vibrancy from the speaker, though a 50:50 mix with sand might not be too bad. My optimum was a 50:50 mix of sand and steel shot. Not colored, but still vibrant and lively.