Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
I suggest auditioning the Mola Mola Kulga class D amps for exceptional performance. Hypex 1200 implementation is key, so not all Hypex 1200 amps will  sound the same. Also, because an amp uses GaN doesn’t necessarily make it better.
my experience in owning= Lamm ML2.1 M2.1 M1.1 ARC D400Mk2 Music Reference RM9mk2, RM200, Theta Citadel 1.0 &1.5, Rowland 501, ATI mosfet amps, Line Magnetic, Auralic Merak, Classe 400 etc.. I have never cared for latest Mark Levinson, Classe or other bi-polar output amps.

My systems have always required hi-current amplifiers for tough load speakers, Wilson WP7, Maxx1/2/3, Magnepan, Rockports, NHT 3.3.  My latest speakers all drop to 1.7-1.8 ohm in bass region but are nominal 4ohm 89 db Sensitivity.  CAVEAT - This might be why these other digital amps struggle in my system due to power supply designs.

I think you really have to break up digital amps into classes.
If you try a digital amp with less than 200hrs on it, you will be unimpressed they really need break-in time. I found these amps to be hard, with a closed in soundstage and very sterile during break-in.

First off older Digital Class D amps were smooth but sterile ex= Bel Canto, Rowland 201/501, Spectron, etc and really responded to power conditioning.

The Current generation of Digital amps with switching power supplies now are smooth but with faster dynamics but I still find them lacking warmth or emotion. They are attractive to people because they don’t generate heat, use very little power and are cheap. Plus people can put a tube preamp and change cabling to warm it up. It’s amazing what you can buy today compared to 15 years ago.

the 3rd generation uses a combination of amplifier technology and this method I think is a winner. Auralic Merak, Devialet Expert Pro with Roon, PS Audio M700 . These manufactures basically use a variant of Class A driver amp with a Class D Current Output. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Finally, these amps all use high-quality linear power supplies instead of dirty cheap switching power supplies and this is key. To take it up another level I found using a filtering power conditioner like Transparent PIMM dropped the noise floor and solidified imaging even more. My Shunyata Vray makes a larger airy soundstage compared to the solidified Transparent and doesn’t drop the noise floor as much. The latest Devialet with Core Infinity and using Roon over a network eliminated the need for reclockers, usb anti-jitter boxes, and that extra gear. we tried the latest Devialet 140 Expert Pro core Infinity at 4 peoples houses and it wasn’t bright on any system and we were feeding it with a bluesound server and streaming services with Roon. My friend added a Roon server and started streaming that method and everything got cleaned up compared to direct attach. we also found that the 4 sub $300 digital cables all had their own flavors but the Transparent Reference digital cable destroyed them with clarity and no bass bloat. Once again direct attach.

Right now I am waiting on my friend to get 200hrs on his PS Audio M700’s to compare to my Auralic Merak on my Rockports and then compare that to my memory of the Devialet. Also considering the latest Theta’s as my current Theta Cidal 1.5’s are extremely organic but not digital.

I wish this thread talked more about how the amps sounded in their system instead of talking about the chips. The sound is what matters and their synergy with your other gear.
Also, because an amp uses GaN doesn’t necessarily make it better.

But one that does will make it better sounding than the "equal" one that doesn't,  if both come from the same manufacture using the same topology, save for the output stage (GaN against Mosfet).

Just like:  Plasma v LCD v LED v OLED, Iphone 4 v 5 v 6 ect ect
Better technology in the parts = better sound in the end for Class-D.

Cheers George