Which components knocked you out on first listen?

I've been listening to stereos since 1973 and I am still waiting to be truly knocked out by the sound of a component. I have sat in showrooms across the country and have been pleased by what I have heard but never truly blown away.
The closest I came was when I listened to a Meitner str-55 amp and VTL preamp a few years ago, sourced by a Linn Ikemi and Revel loudspeakers. However, I also have been moved by a
Apple computer cd drive, circa 1994 through a Creek 4040 and RA Lab speakers, estimated cost about $1,200; maybe more so than the Linn,Revel 10K system. How about you?
cody

Showing 3 responses by tok20000

I rarely get 'knocked out' by listening to any one product due to the fact whenever i am listening to music, I am listening to the entire system putting out the music, not just one link in the system chain.

However, I will list some audio components that when matched well, have made my jaw drop.

Speakers in no particular order:
- Wilson Watt & Puppies (original) demonstration done by Mr. Wilson himself, Man did they sound GREAT! I was a young audiophile then.

- Magnapan 3.6's were the first planer speaker I ever heard that made me want planer speakers. I got a pair of 3.6's soon therafter.

- Vienna Acoustic Mahlers might not be a speaker that blows folks away at shows, but in my system, I am coaxing sound out of them that makes most audiophiles envious.

Amplifiers (in no order)

- Naim Nait integrated amp was the first integrated amp that I ever heard that made me realize that one does not needs serious power to coax great sound out of certain speakers. This series of integrated amps are some of the best low powered solid state sound one gets from an integrated amp.

- Audio Research CA50 is my favorite tube integrated amp. If you can live with 40wpc or so, this tube amp is insanely good. Used for $2k or so it is a steal.

- Monarchy SE100 monoblocks were the first monoblocks I ever owned. For under $2k it is very hard to beat these in sound quality. When I got them, they were so superior to any other amps I had owned it was amazing.

- Plinius SA100 mk3, these were a serious step up from the Monarchy amps for driving Maggie 3.6's. Two Plinius SA100 mk3's driving Maggies is great. The Maggies without the tweeter resistor helps a lot to cancel out the Plinius' dark top end.

- Gamut D-200 is the amp to end all amps for under $5k. You must hear to believe.

Preamps (in no order)

- Sonic Fronteirs 3SE, I went from digital straight into my amps to the SF3SE preamp and the difference was dramatic.

- Ayre K-3x w/phono stage, Solid state preamps do not get much better than this for linestage and/or phono preamplification. Even the K-1x preamp is not that much better sonically than the K-3x. Sonically they are very close, however, fiscally they are many thousands of dollars apart.

Digital (in no particular order)

- Cary 306/200 was so much better than my Camelot Uther DAC it was not even funny.

- Ayre CDX-7 review to come at Audiogon. This unit sets the standard for one box players under $6k retail. And it only costs $3k retail.

Phono

- Rega P9, using the same cartridge with the P9 as my old Basis 1400 turntable, I had to check the first record I played to make sure it was the same recording I was listening to as before on my Basis 1400. The difference was that dramatic.

KF