Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 38 responses by jcarcopo

TDAI 3400 just ordered from Hifi Heaven today!  @klh007 informed me about this newer model in the Tekton speaker thread so I figured I would go for it.  I love they added the network streamer because I use ROON and can now eschew the USB connection to my dedicated Roon Computer.  I've been auditioning the NAD Reference 22 Rev2 and will be getting some NORD One Up monoblocks to listen to in a week or so, but my money is on the Lyngdorf replacing everything including my Diavolo SET amplifier in my main listening room, but I'll likely employ it in a second system in another room.  I'm very excited about getting my new Tekton speakers and the Lyngdorf equipment and hope this gets me off the upgrade path until I meet my maker.
Thanks everyone, I forgot to follow this discussion so I apologize for the delays in replying.

@klh007 I ordered it with the HDMI board for my Nvidia Shield which I use for various Video related endpoints for Plex and Kodi. I didn’t bother with the premium analog board because I have no analog sources. Honestly, I could make do with a stripped down network only version that has no digital audio inputs or analog audio inputs if they made one that way since I run Roon and the Lyngdorf already supports RoonReady through the network board. The prices quoted were the same as @uberwaltz mentioned earlier.

TLDR; The Lyngdorf had better be a sonic Svengali because it has some very stiff competition.

I am currently auditioning the NAD Reference M22 Rev2 and I have a pair of Nord One-Up SE Ncore Monoblocks arriving tomorrow to compare sound quality against.

I am hopeful that the Lyngdorf competes and surpasses them all sonically (including my SET, but I am realistic in this regard), but I will say the NAD Ref M22 Rev2 is very very good, but it required some judicious manual Room EQ to get it to sound that way because initially it was busy sounding and congested in the upper midrange at louder volume levels. It’s really quite nice sounding now after my buddy Mike team viewered into my roon endpoint and we took measurements and tweaked the EQ settings in the Reaper DAW software using FabFilter ProQ2 VST plugins (I use various audio plugins to tweak the sound to my liking).

I could see myself possibly keeping the Lyngdorf just for room correction and as a Roon endpoint if it doesn’t beat the NAD or Nords or my SET in sound quality, but that’s an expensive proposition so the room correction/roon-endpoint convenience and sound quality improvement will have to outweigh any sonic differences between amplifiers in that case.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe theoretically I can bi-amp my forthcoming Ulfberhts with my current Diavolo SET tube amplifier on the top-end and the Lyngdorf on the bottom-end? I have no idea if this would be warranted, desirable, or even worth trying for possibly the best of both worlds, but I fear they might not coalesce properly. I tend to think that mixing SETs with Solid-State (even class D) would be akin to heresy in some circles and even I would say it may very well be an abortion of sonic proportions.

The versatility and simplicity of the Lyngdorf truly makes it the swiss army knife of components as @aniwolfe mentioned on the phone yesterday with me.

What’s truly amazing to me is that in the best case scenario the Lyngdorf could potentially replace my DAC, my passively cooled and dedicated ROON endpoint, my SET amp, and hopefully best the competing class D amps I am also comparing it to.

I feel kind of sorry for the Lyngdorf, it’s almost not fair to expect it to outperform everything, but unfortunately it’s going to have to pull a rabbit out of it’s hat sonically and amaze me or I’ll not likely keep it in my system. I won’t expect the SET like midrange, but it better do everything else so well that I forget about magic midranges.

@kdude66 I can't believe myself either. I just think the new speakers will need more power as they are less efficient than the DI's, and I really want something less fiddly.  I get tired tweaking eqs, plugins, and filters and messing about.  If the Lyngdorf can nail the room correction better than me, than more power to it. I am having some trepidation about giving up my SET amp in my main system.  I am not selling it though, I may repurpose it for a 2nd system so I never go without it ever again. I made the mistake selling this amp years ago only to repurchase it at great expense to my bank account, I won't make that mistake again. I've always wanted 2 systems.  One big and one small.  Now I am covered. 
@david_ten

TLDR; Because it’s $2200 and I am within my 30 day return period and I’m hemorrhaging money like Richard Pryor in the movie "Brewster’s Millions" ;-) LOL

I’m running Roon so I’ll be using the built-in endpoint to stream music from my library directly to the DAC/AMP in the Lyngdorf. I see no advantage in doing an extra D/A conversion. It’s as pure a signal path as you’ll ever get running packeted RAAT protocol digital data over a network connection directly to the digital amp as PWM. In essence there’s not really a DAC involved in the conventional sense. This assumes I know what I am talking about, so please correct me if I am wrong. (I will however try my old DAC2 HGC fed into the Lyngdorf just for the hell of it and for the sonic comparison).
@aniwolfe I agree 100%, If the Lyndorf does it’s job, like I am hoping, I will be getting rid of everything else. Trust me. I don’t need or want 4 amps, extra endpoint, dac, etc. I’d be ecstatic to be a minimalist. (Still Not selling my SET AMP though lol, nevaaa)
@kuky - I don’t know when Colin switched to Rev C of the input buffer stage on the OneUp SE Monos. I went ahead and purchased both the Sonic Imagery and Sparkos input buffer modules so I can roll between them and decide whether I prefer the dynamic/neutral presentation of the Sonic Imagery modules vs the warmer richer presentation of the Sparkos modules. I think the Nords will have enough on their plate just keeping up with the NAD M22 Rev2 ncore amplifier which is very impressive sounding after applying room eq manually in software, much less compete with the Lyngdorf, which hopefully is superior in the room eq department and hopefully in their dac/amp implementation. The Nords are arriving today so it should be a fun weekend comparing them to the NAD.
@unsound You can stream Tidal through the built-in Roon Ready endpoint. Tidal integrates very tightly into Roon. You have to decide if you wish to pay monthly or $500 upfront for Roon though. I don’t know the specifics on the eq because I haven’t found a pdf manual on the 3400 listed on their  website yet.

@essrand We are in the same boat, I ordered my tdai-3400, but I'm still waiting for it to ship from overseas.  I'm hoping it supplants my 300b amplifier as well, but if not, I'm creating a second much larger sound room and keeping the new speakers and tdai-3400 in that listening space with its awful acoustics that hopefully the 3400 will tame.  I don't think I will be able to sell my SET anyway, it's too gorgeous sounding to sell.
2 words:  Roon endpoint, though I am not complaining about the extra power. 
@radiohead99 - Definitely going with either the Equicore 1800 or Equi-Tech Son of Q for my TDAI 3400 when it arrives. I'm auditioning the Equi-Tech already in my old system which arrived yesterday. I also have a pair of Equicore 1800 coming and the new Equicore DeepCore on order too, but that's a few weeks away from shipping since it's in late beta still. I'll compare them all and report back. 
It's been a month and I'm still waiting for my 3400, but hopefully it will be here this Friday.  BTW I cancelled my order with Hifi Heaven.  The owner is an unresponsive, unprofessional, and immature subhuman. 

Pretty clear why I said it, "The owner is an unresponsive, unprofessional, and a immature subhuman." 

Case in point, he purposely refunded me from two separate payment transactions exactly $.30 less than the original amount just to be a petty person. I didn't take the bait and retaliate. I let him keep the change to avoid opening 2 paypal disputes over his need to be a sore loser and a child.  He wasn't clear on the delivery date, didn't update me or clarify anything other than the item would dropship from the manufacturer, and was very slow to respond to my emails even when I was trying to pay the PayPal invoices and with all subsequent requests for information and updates.  I was warned by others after the fact that he was an untenable person to deal with and he lived up to those expectations.  I'm glad you had a good experience, I will say his employee was much nicer on the phone and customer service oriented than he was via emails which were short, curt.  He was very argumentative with me when I cancelled the order and I literally had to apologize and politely hang up in his face when I tired of his antics. 
Tdai 3400 will not be replacing my set tube amp after all.  Oh well, fraud happens. 

I would elaborate, but moderators have and will delete my comments. For some reason they protect a known convicted felon and fraudster, Mark Schifter of Core Power Technology, who attempts to defraud people out of their money while leading them on for 7 weeks.
@robelvick  I purchased several power conditioners and he acted like he was doing me a favor by getting me the Lyngdorf at a very great price.  He claimed he was friends with Lyngdorf and that if i needed a great deal on any equipment he could get it to me as a favor. After 7 weeks of constant excuses and delays on both the power conditioners and the Lyngdorf I demanded refunds and ultimately was forced to file claims with 2 credit cards and PayPal to get my money back because his bank bounced the refund on 2 occasions.  I already purchased some Nord ncore monoblock amps instead to use in my second system for my Tekton mini Ulfberhts when they arrive or at least thats an option if my set amp wont drive them.
Received my TDAI-3400 today.  It's a very well thought out device and very easy to setup with Room Perfect. I did 4 measurements to get to 96%.  The sound quality did improve subtlety in the bass and the delineation between instruments improved noticeably as well. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and just had a few questions regarding the remote control.  What is mic for? Why does pressing the Voice or Audio or any of the 3 musical 🎶 buttons on the bottom do nothing? 
@recroom The Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 is better beyond the extra power in added features that you may or may not care about, but my speakers are 96db and I bought the 3400. I couldn’t be happier. Call Neal at Sound Science and tell him Jonathan Carcopo sent you. You’ll get taken care of.
@charles1dad You're correct as always!

@waltersalas I couldn't agree more with your post too! 
I'm not going to lie.  I've been listening more and more to my Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 and less and less to my Art Audio Diavolo 300b SET amplifier!  Maybe I'm too lazy to power up my tube amplifier and turn a knob on my Luxman AS-55 amplifier switcher, but I find the Lyngdorf sounds unlike any solid-state amplifier I've ever heard on my Tekton Design Encore speakers.  It's very neutral, natural, detailed, but not overbearingly so, and with Room Perfect properly setup the sound improvements between using it or bypassing it can't be overstated.  It's just sounds so right to me and just as, and at times even more, emotionally engaging than my tube amp; especially on larger music pieces that appreciate the extra power output that the Lyngdorf affords me.  

It's also an absolute joy to use.  You can open Spotify or Roon/Tidal on your phone, cue a piece of music and the Lyngdorf will wake up from standby, change to the appropriate input and begin playing music immediately.  I also love the WebGUI interface which makes setting it up fast and painless. The dedicated Android App is so polished, well thought out, and executed flawlessly. 
The 3400’s integration with Roon/TIDAL and Spotify Connect over ethernet is seamless. It allows you from standby, or any current input, to cue and play a song from the Roon/Tidal app or the Spotify app from your phone or tablet and the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 will switch automatically to appropriate input automatically. Track forward, track back, pause/play, and volume control from either the physical Bluetooth remote and the aforementioned phone or tablet apps is a nice touch. My Roon dedicated server uses a dedicated fanless quad-core computer made by www.AtlastSolutions.com out of the UK. It sports an 512gb nvme ssd, 32gb ram, i7 quad-core intel processor, and I added a 4tb ssb for my music library. I installed a $400 dedicated JCAT femto based USB card to connect it to the Lyngdorf directly just to play music or media from sources other than Roon or Spotify since the 3400 handles them natively. I power both the USB card and the fanless media server that runs absolutely silent with a dedicated linear power supply made by HDPLEX.COM.

Personally, I find the sound from 3400 is exemplary in all respects. So much so that I rarely switch to my 300B tube amps anymore. It’s simply that good. I’m completely smitten by Lyngdorf’s implementation of Class D. It’s not something I come to grips with easily having been so used to the tube sound of SET amplifiers for so many years. It’s not identical to a SET in the midrange, but it’s utterly neutral and very emotionally engaging. With Room Perfect on the improved sonics for me surpass an entire system upgrade.
@hybrid81 I can only speak for the 3400. I sincerely doubt sonically you would have any issue pairing it with your speakers and being nothing but very satisfied. The Lyngdorf sound is utterly neutral, detailed, beautiful, and engrossing emotionally.

@tommypenngotti  The 3400 is also twice as powerful delivering up to 400 wpc into 4ohm. I do use spotify connect and Roon Ready with Tidal and you can also connect a USB hard drive to it and playback music directly from it as well.  I bought the $7200 fully loaded model and all I will say is that I paid much less than you think for it via negotiating among dealers. 
@tommypenngotti Doesn't the 2170 have manual bass and treble control at least? I have the 3400 so I can custom adjust the EQ and save it. The provided presets are pretty good though for the most part.  I don't use them very often, but they aren't too agressive sounding. 
@shkong78  I ditched my 300b SET amplifier in favor of the TDAI3400 neutral to warm sound and the clarity I gained in the midrange with Room Perfect enabled.  Unfortunately the 10wpc Diavolo SET wasn't able to fill in a 100hz suck out in my room which caused it to soft clip and major clip at higher volumes when using RoomPerfect.  I miss my SET amp a little bit, but I gained so much headroom and midrange clarity using the 400wpc internal amplifier in the Lyngdorf with RoomPerfect enabled that I'm happy to trade a little warmth for the sonic advantages I have now. 

@shkong78 I wish I could tell you the 3400 bests the 2170 in sound quality, but I never heard the 2170 to compare them. I would assume it could potentially sound better since you have much more headroom which would hopefully equal less distortion at similiar volume levels.
@yyzsantabarbara I sold my Art Audio Diavolo SET 300b tube amp for the tdai-3400. It was not an easy choice because they sounded so similiar that it drove me crazy, but in the end the extra headroom and clarity of the TDAI-3400 won me over. This of course was with Room Perfect on.  Best of luck! 
@david_ten It was with the TDAI-3400 feeding the Diavolo 300b SET Amp with Room Perfect on in both scenarios.  They sounded so similiar I decided the tdai-3400 was great sounding for me on it's own merits.  It's very neutral to slightly warm sounding with no harshness or grain.  It's very musical. 
@cwho1228 I get no discernible harshness or analytical sound with my Lyngdorf TDAI3400.  It's so "neutral to warm" sounding that I no longer use my 300b Tube amplifier! I use Analysis Big Silver Oval (BI-WIRE) speaker cables, and their Power Oval MK II power cables.  My speakers are the Tekton Encores.  This has proven to be a very musical combination!  
@happajoe I did 11 measurements to get to 99%  I was tired after that.  LOL
@jones4music Why are you so desperate to troll this thread? You're last comment was removed because you're a small person with a adolescent vocabulary.  What do you gain trolling here?  Have you no life? Maybe you should upgrade your attitude? 
@cissado The HDMI output only passes the HDMI source only, there is no overlay. To program and manage the Lyngdorf there is a web-page portal for configuration from any computer or laptop or phone. There is also a dedicated phone app for simplified remote control of the basic functionality sans setup. The Network streamer only supports ROON and Spotify Connect to my knowledge. Since it’s a ROON READY device you can subscribe to ROON or buy a lifetime membership for $500 and using that music management software would allow you to integrate TIDAL and even QOBUZ music services in to the Lyngdorf through ROON Music management software. You never know what Lyngdorf might do with future firmware updates that would allow you to use TIDAL or QOBUZ natively from the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400, but that’s purely speculation.

You would need to run ROON-CORE software on at least one computer that is on all the time or purchase a ROON Nucleus Server. This is where your digital music would be stored and allow you access over your network via the Lyngdorf to the ROON CORE to give you access to the music streaming services. (Of course the LYNGDORF supports Spotify-Connect natively already, but they don’t offer hi-res streaming yet.)

I love ROON. It seamlessly integrates both TIDAL & QOBUZ with my large 4TB music library and allows for multiple zones to different music or even the same music simultaneously into grouped zones.

ROON also makes finding your music and similar music like the music you’re playing with it’s pandora-esque RADIO feature. It analyzes what you are listening to and pulls similar artist from your personal music collection, TIDAL, and QOBUZ. It also has a DISCOVER section that introduces you to artists in your collection you haven’t played or via TIDAL or QOBUZ that you are subscribed to, seamlessly. There’s also a plethora of meta-data available to view about each artist and reviews of the album (along with song lyrics) you are playing provided by ROON.

You can control ROON from any computer or phone via there provided dedicated PC/MAC apps for all platforms and mobile devices and tablets. You can use the LYNGDORF included remote control to << >> advance tracks, pause, play, etc for ROON and SPOTIFY CONNECT.

You can even turn the Lyngdorf on from the ROON app from your phone and control the Lyngdorf’s Volume control from within the ROON APP on any device.

When you queue the music, your LYNGDORF will automatically turn on from STANDBY, change to the ROON READY input, and start playing.

It’s very well executed and all of this ROON functionality is tightly integrated into the LYNGDORF and is an absolute pleasure to use,

I’ve heard the ANTHEM STR and it’s a nice piece. I think Lyngdorf’s ROOM PERFECT implementation is a much better solution for room correction. It has nearly 20 years of R&D going back to the TACT Millennium Amp which debuted I think in 2001-2002. They both sounded good, but to me the Lyngdorf is smoother/neutral/ maybe a tad warmer sounding than the more up-tilted airy sound of the STR which comes off sounding more like descent and more detailed solid-state. They are both very good though. My buddy Johnny has the STR and loves it. I feel for a ROON user the LYNGDORF TDAI-3400 is the better way to go and has better room correction (Better algorithms, test tones, and better calibrated mic and included mic tripod. It sounds better to my ears coming from tube amplification.

I connect my ROON-CORE server directly via HDMI to the Lyngdorf to view ROON’s polished interface to display my current playing music selection or even play YOUTUBE MUSIC videos to my Lyngdorf (Connected via USB to the LYNGDORF for the audio). I control it all from the polished ROON REMOTE PHONE APP on my Android phone and my Microsoft Surface Tablet running the Win10 version of the ROON Desktop Software.

This is a pretty high level breakdown of ROON, but there's tons more you can do with it.  It's a powerful piece of software and I highly recommend it over anything else out there. 
@jones4music You've proven nothing, but only your own confirmation bias that you feel so desperate to convince other audiophiles to believe.  
@jones4music You don't know what he paid for it.  I know I could sell mine in a hurry for that price if I needed the money and maybe this person needs the money or paid much less than retail.
@bullitt5094  You're 100% correct. I've had a HIFISHARK search on the TDAI-3400 for months.  I have yet to see more than one pop up anywhere and it was listed for $5500 for the base model. 
@david_ten I don't pay retail for anything in high-end audio. This was the case with the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 as well. I haggled with a few dealers just like I would a car.  Everything is negotiable if you're willing to negotiate.  I've sent several customers to the dealer who sold me mine.