Wilson Audio paint problems

Hi - am I the only person who has experienced problems with Wislon Audio products? I bought a brand new pair of Sofia 2s and after about 12 months they developed cracking around the top and front edge. This has spread laterally at the top if the speaker. I approached the distributor who offered to take them to a Ferrari paint shop! I called Wilson Audio but the guy I was put through to did not return my calls.

I have since purchased a pair of Duettes on Audiogon. These too have developed a light crack down the side along one of the seams. I love Wilson speakers (I have the centre and sub/sub controller too). I have invested a lot of money in the brand but now feel completely unable to get my problems sorted. Looking on the web, there seems to be a lot about WA's commitment to the client. I just feel I can't get access to it!

Does anyone else have a similar experience or advice?
krupski
Peter

You are right, there is no way I would know if there is any minor effect to the sound. The reason why i'm putting the post on this site is to get input from different people who has had this problem or know of someone who has had this problem. Obviously I'm worried about the the resell value as well. But as I mentioned at the beginning I have to pay for shipping to and from Thailand and pay for the repair which is expensive so i'm thinking about what I should do.
>>That doesn't mean there is no sonic effect, just that you can't hear it. <<

Peter: How would you detect a sonic effect you cannot hear? How did you get to a crack in the cabinet from what is described as a crack in the paint?

-------------

This thread is a bit of a slippery slope.

The issue is probably no different for any molded speakers such as those from Vivid or Rockport - the facilities for repair may be limited to the factory. What would you do if you found a crack in the paint of your B&W Nautilus and you lived in Tiera del Fuego?

If after 37 months you found a crack in the aluminum of your now expired warranty Magico Q5 that you bought as a demo from an overseas seller via an on-line ad, what should happen? Its easy to create scenarios when one has no stake in the issue.

Shipping cost is a fact of life for purchases one chooses to make from a distance - I don't see how this enters into the equation.

Based on what I know about their customer service, if the speaker head is returned to Wilson there is a very high probability they will send back a unit indistinguishable from new. I suggest calling Wilson and talking to them (not e-mail) - you may be surprised.
I spoke with Trent workman already very nice guy I offered to take to dinner the next time he is in Bangkok. But still he wasn't willing to contribute more to my situation. I was hoping that they might pay for the repair at least or if going the extra mile pay for the return shipping. I think it's pretty fair that I would pickup the tab for the shipping back to the factory.
jtimothya makes good sense. It is an unfortunate situation but if you buy used or gray-market it's one you have to anticipate is likely to happen, if you need a repair. If the paint crack indicates a problem w the underlying cabinet, then I think that this would result in a big hit on re-sale value.
Jtimothya,
I got to a crack in the cabinet at the joint because earlier in the thread someone mentioned that this is an issue with the glue manufacturer. The flat panels that make up the cabinet I believe are glued together. That implies to me that it is the cabinet and not the paint that first moved. That is understandable considering the pressures that are inside these cabinets. That movement caused the crack along the joint in the paint. At least I see this as one possible scenario.

Regarding the sonic effect: If one can't hear it, then HE can't detect it. However, others MAY be able to. People have heard things in my system and I in theirs that the other does not detect. Lots of possible reasons for that outcome. One being the quality of a person's hearing. Another is knowing what to listen for. Clearly, in this case, it is not an obvious sonic effect. But it may be subtle. I'm just saying that just because the OP can't hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Someone else might hear it and there is the possibility that it might get worse with time.

I agree with you that a buyer can only expect so much service depending on many factors. And one's expectations should be no different for Magico, B&W, or other well -established brands. There are many variables and factors involved.

This is a long thread and seems not to be a unique issue. I don't know what is meant my a "slippery slope". The OP is just asking for opinions and advice. He is getting some. I hope he can resolve this to his satisfaction.